The HON Company announced last week that more than 60 of its products in five categories have received level™ certification from Scientific Certification Systems (SCS). This milestone indicates that 80% of HON’s product volume is now level certified.
“As a leader in the office furniture industry, HON takes its responsibility to serve as a steward of resources very seriously. We’re thrilled to be honored for our efforts—especially from such important industry icons as SCS and BIFMA,” said Mark Roumfort, vice president of product development and management for The HON Company. “We will continue to strive to reduce the environmental impact of our products, while continuing to deliver the high level of performance, style and reliability that’s synonymous with the HON brand.”
level is the multi-attribute, sustainability standard and third-party certification program for the furniture industry. Created by BIFMA, it has been developed to deliver an open and transparent means of evaluating the environmental and social impacts of furniture products. The level certification mark identifies that a product has been evaluated by an independent third-party certifier. HON chose SCS, which HON has long recognized as a provider of quality certifications.
In the level certification process, a product, and the organization and facilities that produced it, are scored according to sustainability attributes across four areas: Materials, Energy and Atmosphere, Human and Ecosystem Health and Social Responsibility. The numeric marking 1, 2 or 3 (from 1 being the lowest level; to 3 being the highest) indicates what threshold of certification the product has achieved.
HON’s products received both level 1 and 2 certifications, with the majority being level 2 certified, and represent the following categories: seating, laminate casegoods, steel desks, steel storage and workstations.
Read TFM‘s May 2010 article on level certification, “On The Level”.
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?