The HON Company announced last week that more than 60 of its products in five categories have received level™ certification from Scientific Certification Systems (SCS). This milestone indicates that 80% of HON’s product volume is now level certified.
“As a leader in the office furniture industry, HON takes its responsibility to serve as a steward of resources very seriously. We’re thrilled to be honored for our efforts—especially from such important industry icons as SCS and BIFMA,” said Mark Roumfort, vice president of product development and management for The HON Company. “We will continue to strive to reduce the environmental impact of our products, while continuing to deliver the high level of performance, style and reliability that’s synonymous with the HON brand.”
level is the multi-attribute, sustainability standard and third-party certification program for the furniture industry. Created by BIFMA, it has been developed to deliver an open and transparent means of evaluating the environmental and social impacts of furniture products. The level certification mark identifies that a product has been evaluated by an independent third-party certifier. HON chose SCS, which HON has long recognized as a provider of quality certifications.
In the level certification process, a product, and the organization and facilities that produced it, are scored according to sustainability attributes across four areas: Materials, Energy and Atmosphere, Human and Ecosystem Health and Social Responsibility. The numeric marking 1, 2 or 3 (from 1 being the lowest level; to 3 being the highest) indicates what threshold of certification the product has achieved.
HON’s products received both level 1 and 2 certifications, with the majority being level 2 certified, and represent the following categories: seating, laminate casegoods, steel desks, steel storage and workstations.
Read TFM‘s May 2010 article on level certification, “On The Level”.
You might like:
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- Trends: Lighting Takes Center Stage
- Friday Funny: The Verdict’s In On Pets At Work
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Physical Security Planning
- Question Of The Week: Design Leads To Tricky Facility Repair?
- JLL Creates Workplace Of The Future At Revamped HQ
- The HVAC Factor: New Life For An Aging Chiller Plant
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Friday Funny: Take Me (And Your Wallet) Out To The Ballgame
- Friday Funny: Building Face Draws Curb Appeal?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Clean Energy Finance Tool Awarded At Bloomberg Event