By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the July 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Where can I attend classes to become an expert in the field of bed bugs? We have had several instances where bed bugs have bitten students, but the bugs could not be officially detected by a certified expert. Since I have no formal training, I wanted to find out how I could become more knowledgeable regarding this issue.
Gary L. Davis
Associate Director, University Housing
A One of the newer resources that is getting a lot of praise is The Bed Bug Handbook by Larry Pinto, Richard Cooper, and Sandy Kraft. According to the description provided by Amazon.com, “The Bed Bug Handbook is a complete and up to date guide to bed bugs and their control. It includes sections on the history and impacts of bed bugs, their biology and habits, how they spread, and medical and social considerations of bed bug infestations.
“The largest portion of the book consists of practical, step by step guidance for preventing infestations and dealing with outbreaks. There is an extensive section on bed bug inspections. The Bed Bug Handbook includes checklists for preventing and controlling bed bugs in facilities such as apartments, hotels, medical facilities, and furniture rental warehouses. Written primarily for professionals, pest control specialists, and the managers of hotels, apartments, and other commercial operations susceptible to bed bug infestations, The Bed Bug Handbook is a valuable resource for anyone interested in bed bugs and their control.” [For more on this topic, see the following post on FacilityBlog.]
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Friday Funny: A Valentine’s Day Look At Office Romance
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Cyber Security In Real Estate
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention