The U.S. EPA has named the 50 organizations in its Green Power Partnership (GPP) program that are using the most renewable electricity. EPA’s GPP works with more than 1,200 partner organizations to voluntarily purchase green power to reduce the environmental impacts of conventional electricity use.
The GPP’s top purchasers use more than 12 billion kilowatt hours (kWh) of green power annually, equivalent to the annual carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions from the electricity use of more than one million average American homes. Green Power helps to prevent emissions from conventional power sources that are linked to air pollution and climate change.
The Top 10
- Intel Corporation
- Kohl’s Department Stores
- Whole Foods Market
- City of Houston
- Dell Inc.
- Johnson & Johnson
- Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Air Force
- City of Dallas
Green power is generated from renewable resources such as solar, wind, geothermal, biomass, biogas, and low impact hydropower. Purchases of green power also help accelerate the development of new renewable energy capacity nationwide.
Intel Corporation remains the partnership’s largest single purchaser of green power, using more than 1.4 billion kWh, equivalent to the CO2 emissions from the electricity use of nearly 125,000 average American homes.
Appearing on the Top 50 list for the first time this year:
- Washington, DC (#14)
- TD Bank, N.A. (#15)
- State of Illinois #23)
- Pearson, Inc. (#27)
- Chicago Public Schools (#35)
- Harris N.A. (#42)
Other companies on the list include:
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation (#22)
- Motorola (#31)
- Herman Miller (#48)
You might like:
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- Trends: Lighting Takes Center Stage
- Friday Funny: The Verdict’s In On Pets At Work
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Physical Security Planning
- Question Of The Week: Design Leads To Tricky Facility Repair?
- JLL Creates Workplace Of The Future At Revamped HQ
- The HVAC Factor: New Life For An Aging Chiller Plant
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Friday Funny: Take Me (And Your Wallet) Out To The Ballgame
- Friday Funny: Building Face Draws Curb Appeal?
- Clean Energy Finance Tool Awarded At Bloomberg Event
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms