The Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International has released Retail Buildings: Standard Methods of Measurement (ANSI/BOMA Z65.5-2010), a new measurement standard that provides a uniform methodology for computing, communicating, and comparing the measurement of shopping centers, providing an unequivocal direct measure of the physical size of the floor area of a retail building. The standard is designed to serve the interests of building owners, managers, and occupants as well as facility managers, brokers, appraisers, assessors, lenders, insurers, developers, construction and design professionals, and others.
“We are excited to add the new retail measurement standard to BOMA’s family of measurement standards,” commented BOMA International Chair Ray H. Mackey, Jr., RPA, CPM, CCIM, partner and chief operating officer, Stream Realty Partners, L.P. “The new standard will allow all types of real estate professionals to measure retail spaces easily and accurately.”
The new standard offers three measurement methods:
- Construction gross area. Includes the area defined as exterior gross area, as well as other areas that have a structural floor or are covered by a roof or canopy that are typically enclosed but within the building perimeter.
- Exterior gross area. The total of all the enclosed floor areas of all floors of a building contained within their measure lines.
- Gross leaseable area. The total enclosed floor area designed for the exclusive use of an occupant, including any basements, mezzanines or upper floors.
The standard also features 16 illustrations, worksheets, and 48 definitions of measurement terms, hyperlinked in a downloadable PDF format.
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation