The Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International has released Retail Buildings: Standard Methods of Measurement (ANSI/BOMA Z65.5-2010), a new measurement standard that provides a uniform methodology for computing, communicating, and comparing the measurement of shopping centers, providing an unequivocal direct measure of the physical size of the floor area of a retail building. The standard is designed to serve the interests of building owners, managers, and occupants as well as facility managers, brokers, appraisers, assessors, lenders, insurers, developers, construction and design professionals, and others.
“We are excited to add the new retail measurement standard to BOMA’s family of measurement standards,” commented BOMA International Chair Ray H. Mackey, Jr., RPA, CPM, CCIM, partner and chief operating officer, Stream Realty Partners, L.P. “The new standard will allow all types of real estate professionals to measure retail spaces easily and accurately.”
The new standard offers three measurement methods:
- Construction gross area. Includes the area defined as exterior gross area, as well as other areas that have a structural floor or are covered by a roof or canopy that are typically enclosed but within the building perimeter.
- Exterior gross area. The total of all the enclosed floor areas of all floors of a building contained within their measure lines.
- Gross leaseable area. The total enclosed floor area designed for the exclusive use of an occupant, including any basements, mezzanines or upper floors.
The standard also features 16 illustrations, worksheets, and 48 definitions of measurement terms, hyperlinked in a downloadable PDF format.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management