By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the August 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Where can I obtain college course information towards further educating myself for a career change to facility management (FM)? I am an older worker with a great deal of experience in both office and healthcare commercial interior design/space planning/construction and commercial furniture. Would I be considered for a position in FM based on my current facilities experience (in addition to pursuing ongoing FM education as a goal while I work)?
A Your background would be a positive with companies looking for competent facility professionals especially in the healthcare service areas. You may want to consider joining the International Facility Management Association (IFMA) and then using some of the organization’s services (such as councils or job board).
For a current listing of colleges and universities with relevant curriculum, you can visit the IFMA Foundation. The IFMA Foundation Website maintains information on accredited degree programs here.
Finally, another excellent way to achieve recognition for your FM knowledge is through certification or designation programs. Again, IFMA has the FMP and CFM certifications, and BOMI International has the FMA, RPA, SMT, and SMA designation programs.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Site Security: Background Checks
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs
- Workplace Study Reveals Insight On Open Office Layouts