By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the August 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Where can I obtain college course information towards further educating myself for a career change to facility management (FM)? I am an older worker with a great deal of experience in both office and healthcare commercial interior design/space planning/construction and commercial furniture. Would I be considered for a position in FM based on my current facilities experience (in addition to pursuing ongoing FM education as a goal while I work)?
A Your background would be a positive with companies looking for competent facility professionals especially in the healthcare service areas. You may want to consider joining the International Facility Management Association (IFMA) and then using some of the organization’s services (such as councils or job board).
For a current listing of colleges and universities with relevant curriculum, you can visit the IFMA Foundation. The IFMA Foundation Website maintains information on accredited degree programs here.
Finally, another excellent way to achieve recognition for your FM knowledge is through certification or designation programs. Again, IFMA has the FMP and CFM certifications, and BOMI International has the FMA, RPA, SMT, and SMA designation programs.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation