By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the August 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Where can I obtain college course information towards further educating myself for a career change to facility management (FM)? I am an older worker with a great deal of experience in both office and healthcare commercial interior design/space planning/construction and commercial furniture. Would I be considered for a position in FM based on my current facilities experience (in addition to pursuing ongoing FM education as a goal while I work)?
A Your background would be a positive with companies looking for competent facility professionals especially in the healthcare service areas. You may want to consider joining the International Facility Management Association (IFMA) and then using some of the organization’s services (such as councils or job board).
For a current listing of colleges and universities with relevant curriculum, you can visit the IFMA Foundation. The IFMA Foundation Website maintains information on accredited degree programs here.
Finally, another excellent way to achieve recognition for your FM knowledge is through certification or designation programs. Again, IFMA has the FMP and CFM certifications, and BOMI International has the FMA, RPA, SMT, and SMA designation programs.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades