By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the August 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Where can I obtain college course information towards further educating myself for a career change to facility management (FM)? I am an older worker with a great deal of experience in both office and healthcare commercial interior design/space planning/construction and commercial furniture. Would I be considered for a position in FM based on my current facilities experience (in addition to pursuing ongoing FM education as a goal while I work)?
A Your background would be a positive with companies looking for competent facility professionals especially in the healthcare service areas. You may want to consider joining the International Facility Management Association (IFMA) and then using some of the organization’s services (such as councils or job board).
For a current listing of colleges and universities with relevant curriculum, you can visit the IFMA Foundation. The IFMA Foundation Website maintains information on accredited degree programs here.
Finally, another excellent way to achieve recognition for your FM knowledge is through certification or designation programs. Again, IFMA has the FMP and CFM certifications, and BOMI International has the FMA, RPA, SMT, and SMA designation programs.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Friday Funny: A Valentine’s Day Look At Office Romance
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Cyber Security In Real Estate
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention