Tricks Of The Trade: Facilities And Design
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the August 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What role does the FM team play in the design and construction of a facility?
A The FM team should be involved from the very start, since it will ultimately be responsible for operating the facility. FM can select materials that wear well and are easier to maintain by local suppliers who can provide the required maintenance and repairs.
Early involvement allows the FM team to know the building from the ground up and use this knowledge to operate it at the highest level possible. Involvement means allowing the team to observe the construction and see how the different components are installed. This will be valuable in the future when repairs and replacements are required. Knowing where (and how) a certain piece was installed makes it easier to replace since its location, model, and other details are known.
The FM team should work with the architect on a strategy to obtain and maintain accurate and complete base building documents. If Building Information Modeling (BIM) will be used, this will greatly assist in maintaining the documents.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.