By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the August 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What role does the FM team play in the design and construction of a facility?
A The FM team should be involved from the very start, since it will ultimately be responsible for operating the facility. FM can select materials that wear well and are easier to maintain by local suppliers who can provide the required maintenance and repairs.
Early involvement allows the FM team to know the building from the ground up and use this knowledge to operate it at the highest level possible. Involvement means allowing the team to observe the construction and see how the different components are installed. This will be valuable in the future when repairs and replacements are required. Knowing where (and how) a certain piece was installed makes it easier to replace since its location, model, and other details are known.
The FM team should work with the architect on a strategy to obtain and maintain accurate and complete base building documents. If Building Information Modeling (BIM) will be used, this will greatly assist in maintaining the documents.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management