By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the August 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What role does the FM team play in the design and construction of a facility?
A The FM team should be involved from the very start, since it will ultimately be responsible for operating the facility. FM can select materials that wear well and are easier to maintain by local suppliers who can provide the required maintenance and repairs.
Early involvement allows the FM team to know the building from the ground up and use this knowledge to operate it at the highest level possible. Involvement means allowing the team to observe the construction and see how the different components are installed. This will be valuable in the future when repairs and replacements are required. Knowing where (and how) a certain piece was installed makes it easier to replace since its location, model, and other details are known.
The FM team should work with the architect on a strategy to obtain and maintain accurate and complete base building documents. If Building Information Modeling (BIM) will be used, this will greatly assist in maintaining the documents.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation