By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the August 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What role does the FM team play in the design and construction of a facility?
A The FM team should be involved from the very start, since it will ultimately be responsible for operating the facility. FM can select materials that wear well and are easier to maintain by local suppliers who can provide the required maintenance and repairs.
Early involvement allows the FM team to know the building from the ground up and use this knowledge to operate it at the highest level possible. Involvement means allowing the team to observe the construction and see how the different components are installed. This will be valuable in the future when repairs and replacements are required. Knowing where (and how) a certain piece was installed makes it easier to replace since its location, model, and other details are known.
The FM team should work with the architect on a strategy to obtain and maintain accurate and complete base building documents. If Building Information Modeling (BIM) will be used, this will greatly assist in maintaining the documents.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention