Free digital copies (registration required) of the International Council’s 2009 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) are now available, thanks to funding provided by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). The funding is part of DOE’s initiative to meet nationwide energy-efficiency goals through its Building Technologies Program and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. The goals of initiatives like these are commercial buildings, including schools and hospitals that consume less energy and help the environment by reducing emissions and their collective carbon footprint.
The national model energy code of choice for states, cities, and counties that adopt codes, the IECC is referenced in federal law determined by Congress through the Energy Policy Act of 1992. The 2009 IECC is the target building energy code that all 50 Governors agreed to achieve compliance with under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.
In response to the 1973 energy crisis, model energy codes were first developed to address the design of energy efficient buildings and the installation of energy efficient mechanical, lighting, and power systems. In 1976, the Council’s legacy groups developed the Model Code for Energy Conservation in New Building Construction, which became the foundation for the IECC, first published in 1998.
The Council—along with the American Institute of Architects (AIA), ASTM International, the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), and the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES)—also developed the International Green Construction Code (IGCC) Public Version 2.0 to regulate construction of new and existing commercial buildings. The IGCC includes ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1 as an alternative compliance requirement.
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention