Because supporting deserving students helps to ensure the quality of the built environment in a changing world, the IFMA Foundation will present $112,000 in scholarships to 33 facility management students during the World Workplace 2010 Conference & Expo, held Oct. 27-29 in Atlanta, Ga.
Ninety-nine graduate and undergraduate students representing 35 schools applied for the scholarships, which are awarded based on merit to students pursuing degrees in facility management or a related field. The scholarships range from $1,500 to $5,000 per student, and the winners also receive a free trip to World Workplace.
“IFMA Foundation scholarships not only address a critical need, but also represent a niche funding source — and in many ways, the only funding source — for interdisciplinary and specialized study within facility management and related fields,” said Shelagh McCartney, doctoral candidate at Harvard University’s Graduate School of Design and a scholarship award winner. “The scholarships enable the best candidates to pursue careers in these desired fields and meet and learn from each other and future employers at World Workplace. This support allows students to concentrate on their studies and relieves concern over funding.”
The scholarships will be awarded on Thursday, Oct. 28, from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at the Omni Hotel at CNN Center in Atlanta, as part of the IFMA Foundation Education Reception & Scholarship Presentation, made possible by ARAMARK and FM:Systems. Scholarships are being provided by several IFMA chapters and councils, as well as by companies including Sodexo and Davies Office Refurbishing.
The event will also mark the presentation of the first ever IFMA Foundation International Student of the Year award, which will be presented to Cornell University student Ziqi Wu, who is also a scholarship winner. The reception will be open to anyone who would like to attend.
Since the IFMA Foundation began awarding scholarships to students in 1991, it has provided a total of 310 scholarships worth $854,750. For more information about the IFMA Foundation’s education, research and scholarship initiatives, visit www.ifmafoundation.org.
To learn more about World Workplace 2010, or to register, visit www.worldworkplace.org. Members of the media may register at no cost.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Five Things To Consider When Starting A Predictive Maintenance Program
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- Fire Rated Flood Door from PS DOORS
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Question Of The Week: Water Conservation Tips