Study: Students Avoid School Toilets
Survey results from the UK relay this startling fact: children are deterred from using school toilets in secondary schools because they are dirty and occupied by smokers and bullies. A quarter of the 300 children surveyed by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) said they avoided toilets if possible.
The LSHTM ran a survey of UK schoolchildren to try and find out just what goes on in school toilets across Britain. The aim was to determine the state of hand washing facilities in UK schools, and to find out about the hand washing behavior of schoolchildren in the UK, and whether this differed depending on the age and gender of the pupils. The survey was sponsored by Teal, producers of mobile and portable hot water hand wash units since 1959.
Nearly 40% of secondary school girls reported ”holding it in” so they didn’t have to go to the toilet. And 16% of secondary school boys reported “bad things” happening in the toilets, making them wary of going in there. Over a third (36%) of pupils questioned said their toilets were never clean, with 42% saying soap was only available sometimes. Meanwhile, around a fifth (19%) said there was never any soap.
Mark Woodhead, chairman of the British Cleaning Council, said more action needs to be taken to protect children. “This survey has found hygiene in Britain’s school toilets to be inadequate. It is easy to blame the kids for poor hygiene, but clearly, the problem lies with poor and dirty facilities, particularly in secondary schools. Pupils deserve better than to be needlessly exposed to illnesses because there are not enough safe and clean toilets in our schools,” Woodhead stated.
Dr. Val Curtis of the LSHTM Hygiene Centre added, “Our survey has found hand washing in Britain’s schools to be less than ideal. It would be easy to blame laziness on the part of the kids for this state of affairs, but clearly the problem lies with inadequate and dirty facilities, particularly in secondary schools.”
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.