By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the November 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Where can I find a list of remote monitoring and maintenance providers? I am interested in the remote monitoring of mechanical and other building systems.
Strategic Relationship Manager
Salt Lake City, UT
A One thing I have grown dependent on is the Sensaphone IMS4000. This remote monitor lets me track various functions. It has built-in sensors for temperature, sound, and power, and the base unit has eight ports for additional sensors such as motion, smoke, moisture, temperature, and humidity. A dry contact bridge is also available to allow notification of equipment alarms.
The device can ping up to 64 devices, which can notify me when any device with an IP address fails to respond. It alerts me of alarm conditions by phone and/or by e-mail, so I use it to monitor temperature levels in C-level suites; I know in advance when they start to fall outside the comfort range. This allows me to dispatch maintenance proactively to correct the problem before it is noticed.
If you looking into having a third party remote monitor your equipment, then I would suggest you read Tom Sumner’s TFM article, “The HVAC Factor: Remote Monitoring Services.” In the article, Sumner presents an overview of some of the minimum building automation system requirements necessary for remote monitoring.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades