So often, the mall food court offers up a less than inspirational experience for patrons, employees, and people just passing through. But on November 13, 2010, unsuspecting shoppers got a big surprise while enjoying their lunch. Over 100 participants in this Christmas Flash Mob.
This flash mob was organized by Alphabet Photography to kick off a festive holiday season. The organizers also wish to thank Robert Cooper and Chorus Niagara, The Welland Seaway Mall (located in Welland, Ontario), and Fagan Media Group.
Fortunately, the performance was well received, and the facility crew did not have to clean up food thrown in protest or disapproval.
As an aside, a similar Random Act of Culture took place at the end of October, at the Macy’s store in Philadelphia. Here is a bit of background on that event:
On Saturday, October 30, 2010, the Opera Company of Philadelphia brought together over 650 choristers from 28 participating organizations to perform one of the Knight Foundation’s “Random Acts of Culture” at Macy’s in Center City Philadelphia. Accompanied by the Wanamaker Organ – the world’s largest pipe organ – the OCP Chorus and throngs of singers from the community infiltrated the store as shoppers, and burst into a pop-up rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel’s “Messiah” at 12 noon, to the delight of surprised shoppers.
This event is one of 1,000 “Random Acts of Culture” to be funded by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation over the next three years. The initiative transports the classical arts out of the concert halls and opera houses and into our communities to enrich our everyday lives.
So be on the lookout for a Random Act of Culture, coming to a facility near you?!
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation