Tricks Of The Trade: Energy Management For Churches
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the January 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Our frequently used facility, a church and school, is 100,000 square feet. It is all electric. Our last bill was $15,000 for the month (whereas an average month is $13,000). We use heat pumps and variable air velocity units for our heating and cooling. Could someone evaluate our power usage and help us conserve?
East Cooper Baptist Church
Mount Pleasant, SC
A Energy usage is one of the biggest operating expenses for any facility. One of the first things I would suggest is to set up a meeting with your electric utility. You should be able to review a record of your usage for the past two years and analyze it according to available rate plans. Make sure you’re getting the lowest plan applicable to your service type. The utility may also be able to help you create an energy schedule and planning guide to fine tune your operations.
If no resources are available from the utility, then an energy management consultant can be contacted for assistance. There may even be someone in your congregation who could provide the service or make a recommendation.
All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- New GSU College of Law Building Encourages Interaction
- Focus On: Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- Question Of The Week: Indoor Air Quality Effects?
- Energy Conservation, Student Performance Top Reasons for Improving U.S. Public Schools
- Question of the Week: What Happens During Mold Remediation?
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Question of the Week: How Can I Prevent Bed Bugs In My Facility?
- New Product Flash: UltraDuty GHS Chemical Labels From Avery
- FM Compliance: Don’t Ignore These Seven Areas
- Grogan & Dove Federal Building Named DBIA Design-Build Project Of The Year
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Question of the Week: What Are The Cleaning Benefits of Aqueous Ozone?
- FM Alert: CABA Report Highlights Role of Controls In Zero Net Energy Buildings
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Facilities Generate Revenue With Frequency Regulation