Tricks Of The Trade: Call Center Characteristics
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the March 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What are the main characteristics of facility management responsibilities at call centers and contact center companies?
A One of the main things you’ll want to do is create the right environment for the workers in the centers. This will involve several aspects of the facility:
- Infrastructure: Depending on the level of criticality for the center, you will need to provide adequate utilities (like power and air conditioning) that are always available. If the phones and computers are down, the center cannot function. You may be dealing with multiple power feeds, emergency generators, UPS systems, as well as data and voice network suppliers.
- Work Areas: Through observation and experience, you will be able to design workspaces that allow employees to perform their duties in an environment with enough privacy to process calls, the necessary tools (phone, computer, monitor, etc.) to complete calls, and ergonomically equipped chairs and worksurfaces which allow the work to be done in comfort, eliminating lost time caused by poor design.
- Training/Conference Areas: Call centers usually require many different rooms to accommodate employee training, counseling, and project meetings. The different sizes will need to allow for one-on-one sessions, group meetings, and large assemblies.
Your space for employees will be less than most standards you will see, since you will have more employees in smaller work stations. You will have to address service calls for too hot/too cold, lighting, restroom supplies, and how to perform the work if the center is always occupied.
All questions have been submitted via the “Ask The Expert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Five Workplace Wellness Best Practices