Whether overseeing this for their own department or helping other departments in the organization to clear out their offices, facility managers should ask the following questions: Do I know what documents are in the filing cabinet? The storage closet? The top desk drawer? It could be anything from Social Security Numbers to Tax Returns to Payroll statements; all confidential information that could be detrimental to employees and their companies if placed in the wrong hands.
Shred-it, an information security company, acknowledges that every document eventually outlives its useful purpose and counsels that retaining them too long, can actually put you in jeopardy of non-compliance under the privacy legislation. How long business records are stored should be determined by a retention schedule that takes into consideration the records usefulness to the business as well as legal requirements.
From a risk management perspective, once this period has passed, the only acceptable way of discarding these records is to destroy them using a method of complete destruction. Shredding is the safest way to ensure that documents are completely destroyed.
While Shred-it encourages a “shred all” policy to ensure complete security of critical documents, the below documents are priorities of what to shred when spring cleaning the office:
You might like:
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- Trends: Lighting Takes Center Stage
- Friday Funny: The Verdict’s In On Pets At Work
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Physical Security Planning
- Question Of The Week: Design Leads To Tricky Facility Repair?
- JLL Creates Workplace Of The Future At Revamped HQ
- The HVAC Factor: New Life For An Aging Chiller Plant
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Friday Funny: Take Me (And Your Wallet) Out To The Ballgame
- Friday Funny: Building Face Draws Curb Appeal?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Clean Energy Finance Tool Awarded At Bloomberg Event