The International Recycling Network (IRN) has wrapped up its busiest spring season ever. Last month alone, IRN packed 105 trailers and shipping containers from some 25 projects in 12 states. The surplus, mostly residential life and classroom furniture, was shipped to relief organizations in seven countries and a half dozen U.S. states.
Among these were several trailers for tornado victims in Joplin, MO. Connecting with two organizations who were among the first on the ground in Joplin, IRN arranged shipments of dorm fridges, cots, beds, and bedding from Boston University and the University of Central Missouri within a week of the tornado.
Every year at this time, IRN asks schools and corporations to plan for surplus projects later in the summer. Just about every school has a surge of surplus in August and September, from summer projects that are wrapping up or replacements in advance of fall semester. Many corporations also take advantage of summer weather to complete replacements, relocations, and renovations. IRN asks these organizations to consider reuse as an alternative to throwing surplus away.
This summer, IRN is making a special request on behalf of tornado and flood victims in Missouri, Alabama, Massachusetts, and elsewhere. In this year of unprecedented storms in the U.S., many of IRN’s charitable partners are key players in relief and reconstruction.
Although IRN cannot guarantee in advance that any specific project will go to tornado or flood relief, the need in the U.S. is much greater in 2011 than in recent years. This request goes not only for late summer projects, but ANY surplus that is taking up space or due to be replaced and can be used for relief efforts.
To discuss a potential project, IRN can be reached by phone (603-229-1962) or by e-mail to Laura Ireland. Alternatively, information can be submitted through IRN’s website.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- President Obama Proclaims May National Building Safety Month
- Fire Rated Flood Door from PS DOORS
- DCIM For Facility Management
- York Chiller Mobile App
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals