IRN Seeks Summer Surplus for Tornado and Other Relief
The International Recycling Network (IRN) has wrapped up its busiest spring season ever. Last month alone, IRN packed 105 trailers and shipping containers from some 25 projects in 12 states. The surplus, mostly residential life and classroom furniture, was shipped to relief organizations in seven countries and a half dozen U.S. states.
Among these were several trailers for tornado victims in Joplin, MO. Connecting with two organizations who were among the first on the ground in Joplin, IRN arranged shipments of dorm fridges, cots, beds, and bedding from Boston University and the University of Central Missouri within a week of the tornado.
Every year at this time, IRN asks schools and corporations to plan for surplus projects later in the summer. Just about every school has a surge of surplus in August and September, from summer projects that are wrapping up or replacements in advance of fall semester. Many corporations also take advantage of summer weather to complete replacements, relocations, and renovations. IRN asks these organizations to consider reuse as an alternative to throwing surplus away.
This summer, IRN is making a special request on behalf of tornado and flood victims in Missouri, Alabama, Massachusetts, and elsewhere. In this year of unprecedented storms in the U.S., many of IRN’s charitable partners are key players in relief and reconstruction.
Although IRN cannot guarantee in advance that any specific project will go to tornado or flood relief, the need in the U.S. is much greater in 2011 than in recent years. This request goes not only for late summer projects, but ANY surplus that is taking up space or due to be replaced and can be used for relief efforts.
To discuss a potential project, IRN can be reached by phone (603-229-1962) or by e-mail to Laura Ireland. Alternatively, information can be submitted through IRN’s website.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ