NEW PRODUCT FLASH: Improved R-Mer Edge Roofing By Garland
A properly designed metal edge system is the first line of defense against high winds, and the improved R-Mer Edge systems have been tested by an independent lab and are certified to conform to ANSI/SPRI ES-1, which formalizes the International Building Code (IBC) specifications for resistance to wind related failures.
According to commercial insurer FM Global, 59% of insured losses involving built-up roofing (BUR) were the result of edge securement failure. The insurance industry estimates that wind related events cause more than half of all insured disaster losses, which amounted to over $300 billion between 1988 and 2007.
Tom Diamond, E.I., Garland metal products manager, states, “Proper edge securement is too often overlooked because it is there to prevent episodic, rather than perpetual, conditions. What people forget is that when a high wind episode does occur, the results can be catastrophic. We are not talking about a gradual failure due to natural degradations of performance over time. We are talking about a single episode resulting in immediate and devastating roof failure. When such a time- and cost-effective preventive measure exists, it is foolhardy to deliberately ignore the legally mandated standards.”
Some of the performance improvements in the new edging systems enabling ES-1 compliance are:
- A streamlined cant dam profile for R-Mer Edge fascia
- Improved geometry on the inside leg of R-Mer Edge coping
- Elimination of exposed fasteners that can back out and create leaks
- Also, the new edging can be post-painted to match or complement any color scheme.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Five Workplace Wellness Best Practices