By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the June 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What is the most cost-effective method to become a Certified Facility Manager (CFM)?
White Bear Lake, MN
A The most cost-effective way to get the CFM designation would be to sit for the exam, since it is based on competency and experience. IFMA has a self-assessment test that shows how strong your knowledge is in the nine competency areas.
Depending on your score, you can either sign up to take the exam or look at the areas where you are weak and plan a course of study. You may elect to take one of IFMA’s core competency courses, or you may opt for offerings from BOMI International. Many companies that offer tuition reimbursement will accept the BOMI courses, which can really help the pocketbook!
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link. For additional stories on professional development, visit this section of FacilityBlog.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management