By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the June 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What is the most cost-effective method to become a Certified Facility Manager (CFM)?
White Bear Lake, MN
A The most cost-effective way to get the CFM designation would be to sit for the exam, since it is based on competency and experience. IFMA has a self-assessment test that shows how strong your knowledge is in the nine competency areas.
Depending on your score, you can either sign up to take the exam or look at the areas where you are weak and plan a course of study. You may elect to take one of IFMA’s core competency courses, or you may opt for offerings from BOMI International. Many companies that offer tuition reimbursement will accept the BOMI courses, which can really help the pocketbook!
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link. For additional stories on professional development, visit this section of FacilityBlog.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention