Tricks Of The Trade: Achieving CFM Status
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the June 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What is the most cost-effective method to become a Certified Facility Manager (CFM)?
White Bear Lake, MN
A The most cost-effective way to get the CFM designation would be to sit for the exam, since it is based on competency and experience. IFMA has a self-assessment test that shows how strong your knowledge is in the nine competency areas.
Depending on your score, you can either sign up to take the exam or look at the areas where you are weak and plan a course of study. You may elect to take one of IFMA’s core competency courses, or you may opt for offerings from BOMI International. Many companies that offer tuition reimbursement will accept the BOMI courses, which can really help the pocketbook!
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link. For additional stories on professional development, visit this section of FacilityBlog.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Five Workplace Wellness Best Practices