A multitude of factors is preventing a recovery for the beleaguered design and construction industry. And according to the latest American Institute of Architects (AIA) semi-annual Consensus Construction Forecast, nonresidential construction spending is expected to decline for the remainder of 2011; modest growth is projected for 2012.
Lenders that have been extremely reticent to finance construction projects, budget shortfalls at all levels of government, the ripple effect of overbuilding, a depressed housing market, and rising costs of key construction commodities are all contributing to what projects to be a decline of 5.6% in spending this year for nonresidential construction projects. On the other hand, the survey of the nation’s leading construction forecasters does project a 6.4% increase of spending in 2012.
“Consumer and business confidence is poor, and the overall economy has yet to pull out of the downturn that began in 2008; both [of these factors] add to the general sense of anxiety and uncertainty in the real estate market,” said AIA Chief Economist Kermit Baker, PhD, Hon. AIA. “Spending on renovations of existing buildings has remained strong, but the depressed demand for new construction isn’t likely to improve until next year, led by the commercial sector: offices, retail and hotels.”
Market Segment Consensus Growth Forecasts
Overall nonresidential: -5.6% (2011), 6.4% (2012)
Commercial/Industrial: -6.5% (2011), 11.8% (2012)
- Hotels: -17.9% (2011), 18% (2012)
- Industrial: -15.8% (2011), 8.4% (2012)
- Office buildings: -6.1% (2011), 9.8% (2012)
- Retail: -3.1% (2011), 11.8% (2012)
Institutional: -3.4% (2011), 4.4% (2012)
- Religious: -10% (2011), 6.3% (2012)
- Education: -5.2% (2011), 2.6% (2012)
- Public safety: -2.5% (2011), 0.9% (2012)
- Amusement/recreation : -0.3% (2011), 5.9% (2012)
- Healthcare facilities: 1.8% (2011), 7.1% (2012
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention