Solis Releases Statement On Heatwave Related Illnesses
Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis has issued the following statement regarding continued record temperatures:
Four weeks into the summer, the nation continues to experience record heat. For outdoor workers, this means being at risk for heat-related illnesses, including heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Employers must take the precautions needed to protect outdoor workers:
- Have a work site plan to prevent heat-related illnesses and make sure that medical services are available to respond to an emergency should one occur.
- Provide plenty of water at the job site and remind workers to drink small amounts of water frequently – every 15 minutes.
- Schedule rest breaks throughout the work shift and provide shaded or air conditioned rest areas near the work site.
- Let new workers get used to the extreme heat, gradually increasing the work load over a week.
- When possible, schedule heavy tasks for earlier in the day.
“Tell workers what to look for to spot the signs of heat exhaustion or heat stroke in themselves and their co-workers, and make sure they know what to do in an emergency. OSHA has fact sheets and posters that illustrate the signs of heat-related illnesses, and the steps that you can take to prevent them at your work site.
OSHA has posted educational materials about heat-related illnesses, including a curriculum for workplace training, available from the following link. Video and audio public service announcements can be downloaded here. All of these materials are available in English and Spanish.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.