By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the July 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What are the processes and procedures involved in acquiring a professional certification in facility management especially for one trained outside the U.S. or U.K.? What is the cost implication?
Name withheld on request
A Acquiring a facility management (FM) certificate or designation in Nigeria may be rather difficult, since you will have limited options available to you. However, the Nigerian Chapter of the International Facility Management Association (IFMA) has details on its web site regarding the Facility Management Professional (FMP) and Certified Facility Manager (CFM) programs offered.
According to the site, the FMP program is recommended for professionals who fit any of the following descriptions:
- FM practitioners with less than five years of experience;
- Transitioning professionals with significant experience in former related careers;
- Partner practitioners such as architects, designers, and safety engineers;
- Associated corporate providers of FM products and services; and
- Students entering the profession from colleges, universities, certificate, or technical programs.
On the other hand, the CFM is a competency-based program that tests what a person can do compared to standards that define the practice of FM. One cannot take a course or a simple knowledge-based exam to earn the credential.
IFMA’s competency-based program is at a higher level than a knowledge-based program, reflecting the growing importance of FM in the international business world. In addition, the CFM is the only global FM certification available. Goals of IFMA’s certification program are to:
- Assure professional excellence;
- Establish standards for global FM practice;
- Promote the added value of FM; and
- Influence the future direction of FM.
Details are available from the chapter regarding training classes along with pricing and other support efforts.
All questions have been submitted via the “Ask The Expert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- Site Security: Background Checks
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- 4 Keys To Improve Energy Efficiency Projects
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs