Tricks Of The Trade: Facility Management In Nigeria
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the July 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What are the processes and procedures involved in acquiring a professional certification in facility management especially for one trained outside the U.S. or U.K.? What is the cost implication?
Name withheld on request
A Acquiring a facility management (FM) certificate or designation in Nigeria may be rather difficult, since you will have limited options available to you. However, the Nigerian Chapter of the International Facility Management Association (IFMA) has details on its web site regarding the Facility Management Professional (FMP) and Certified Facility Manager (CFM) programs offered.
According to the site, the FMP program is recommended for professionals who fit any of the following descriptions:
- FM practitioners with less than five years of experience;
- Transitioning professionals with significant experience in former related careers;
- Partner practitioners such as architects, designers, and safety engineers;
- Associated corporate providers of FM products and services; and
- Students entering the profession from colleges, universities, certificate, or technical programs.
On the other hand, the CFM is a competency-based program that tests what a person can do compared to standards that define the practice of FM. One cannot take a course or a simple knowledge-based exam to earn the credential.
IFMA’s competency-based program is at a higher level than a knowledge-based program, reflecting the growing importance of FM in the international business world. In addition, the CFM is the only global FM certification available. Goals of IFMA’s certification program are to:
- Assure professional excellence;
- Establish standards for global FM practice;
- Promote the added value of FM; and
- Influence the future direction of FM.
Details are available from the chapter regarding training classes along with pricing and other support efforts.
All questions have been submitted via the “Ask The Expert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- New GSU College of Law Building Encourages Interaction
- Focus On: Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- Question Of The Week: Indoor Air Quality Effects?
- Energy Conservation, Student Performance Top Reasons for Improving U.S. Public Schools
- Question of the Week: What Happens During Mold Remediation?
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Grogan & Dove Federal Building Named DBIA Design-Build Project Of The Year
- FM Compliance: Don’t Ignore These Seven Areas
- New Product Flash: UltraDuty GHS Chemical Labels From Avery
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- FM Alert: CABA Report Highlights Role of Controls In Zero Net Energy Buildings
- Question of the Week: What Are The Cleaning Benefits of Aqueous Ozone?
- FM Alert: Is Your Facility Ready For Winter Weather?
- Resilient Facilities: Strong And Sustainable
- Did You Miss The “What You Haven’t Heard About LED Upgrades – But Should!” Webinar?