By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the July 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What are the processes and procedures involved in acquiring a professional certification in facility management especially for one trained outside the U.S. or U.K.? What is the cost implication?
Name withheld on request
A Acquiring a facility management (FM) certificate or designation in Nigeria may be rather difficult, since you will have limited options available to you. However, the Nigerian Chapter of the International Facility Management Association (IFMA) has details on its web site regarding the Facility Management Professional (FMP) and Certified Facility Manager (CFM) programs offered.
According to the site, the FMP program is recommended for professionals who fit any of the following descriptions:
- FM practitioners with less than five years of experience;
- Transitioning professionals with significant experience in former related careers;
- Partner practitioners such as architects, designers, and safety engineers;
- Associated corporate providers of FM products and services; and
- Students entering the profession from colleges, universities, certificate, or technical programs.
On the other hand, the CFM is a competency-based program that tests what a person can do compared to standards that define the practice of FM. One cannot take a course or a simple knowledge-based exam to earn the credential.
IFMA’s competency-based program is at a higher level than a knowledge-based program, reflecting the growing importance of FM in the international business world. In addition, the CFM is the only global FM certification available. Goals of IFMA’s certification program are to:
- Assure professional excellence;
- Establish standards for global FM practice;
- Promote the added value of FM; and
- Influence the future direction of FM.
Details are available from the chapter regarding training classes along with pricing and other support efforts.
All questions have been submitted via the “Ask The Expert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Fire Rated Flood Door from PS DOORS
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- York Chiller Mobile App
- President Obama Proclaims May National Building Safety Month