Guardian’s SunGuard Building Energy Calculator is now available to provide facility managers (fms) a comprehensive tool to evaluate commercial glazing options and their impact on energy use and design. The Building Energy Calculator allows for comparison of building energy costs for multiple glazing options in prototypical buildings based on multiple variables.
Users are asked to input data through a number of prompts including building type, fuel type and costs, daylighting controls, window orientation, and glazing options. Once the data has been entered, the calculation engine applies utility rates and specific weather data for 52 cities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico to generate energy cost and consumption data in tabular form and simple, easy to read bar chart graphics. The results highlight key advantages to using energy efficient glazings and their impact on monthly and annual costs as well as consumption under standard and peak demand conditions.
The calculator is simple to use, offers a variety of glazing options, and provides a basic and intuitive summary of energy costs so the benefits of particular products can be quickly determined and compared.
“With greater emphasis and interest in LEED and energy savings in commercial projects, the calculator will provide a quick and consistent way to understand the trade offs between various products. It does so using comparative estimates of energy costs and consumption rather than only comparing product technical data,” said Chris Dolan, director of commercial glass marketing.
Group 14 Engineering developed the calculator exclusively for Guardian using the DOE2 calculation engine created by J. Jeff Hirsch & Associates. “Group 14 designed a powerful analytical tool with a very simple user interface, and this tool provides us with a solid platform for future development,” said Dolan.
You might like:
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- Trends: Lighting Takes Center Stage
- Friday Funny: The Verdict’s In On Pets At Work
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Physical Security Planning
- Question Of The Week: Design Leads To Tricky Facility Repair?
- JLL Creates Workplace Of The Future At Revamped HQ
- The HVAC Factor: New Life For An Aging Chiller Plant
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Friday Funny: Take Me (And Your Wallet) Out To The Ballgame
- Friday Funny: Building Face Draws Curb Appeal?
- Clean Energy Finance Tool Awarded At Bloomberg Event
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms