Guardian’s SunGuard Building Energy Calculator is now available to provide facility managers (fms) a comprehensive tool to evaluate commercial glazing options and their impact on energy use and design. The Building Energy Calculator allows for comparison of building energy costs for multiple glazing options in prototypical buildings based on multiple variables.
Users are asked to input data through a number of prompts including building type, fuel type and costs, daylighting controls, window orientation, and glazing options. Once the data has been entered, the calculation engine applies utility rates and specific weather data for 52 cities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico to generate energy cost and consumption data in tabular form and simple, easy to read bar chart graphics. The results highlight key advantages to using energy efficient glazings and their impact on monthly and annual costs as well as consumption under standard and peak demand conditions.
The calculator is simple to use, offers a variety of glazing options, and provides a basic and intuitive summary of energy costs so the benefits of particular products can be quickly determined and compared.
“With greater emphasis and interest in LEED and energy savings in commercial projects, the calculator will provide a quick and consistent way to understand the trade offs between various products. It does so using comparative estimates of energy costs and consumption rather than only comparing product technical data,” said Chris Dolan, director of commercial glass marketing.
Group 14 Engineering developed the calculator exclusively for Guardian using the DOE2 calculation engine created by J. Jeff Hirsch & Associates. “Group 14 designed a powerful analytical tool with a very simple user interface, and this tool provides us with a solid platform for future development,” said Dolan.
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation