Tricks Of The Trade: Asset Management’s Market
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the August 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I actually have two questions: What is the estimated U.S. market size of facility management/asset management space? And how is this space segmented by market player?
Golden Valley, MN
A Here are some numbers that provide a very large overview of commercial buildings (note: this data was current as of 2010):
Based on the 2003 Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption Survey, there were 4,859,000 commercial buildings in the U.S. totaling 71,658,000,000 square feet. This overall total was then broken down by different characteristics, such as building floorspace, principal activity, age, and region. One could use these categories to determine the total space that their product market covers.
In response to your second question, there is information based upon research conducted back in 2004 by Terrence O’Hanlon of MaintenanceForums.com. This was the market share information estimated in that survey:
- 18% Datastream
- 17% Maximo/MRO
- 16% SAP PM
Again, keep in mind that these three vendors, as of 2004, owned 51% of the computerized maintenance management software (CMMS) market. These vendors were followed by:
- 5% Indus
- 4% MicroMain
- 3% JD Edwards/PeopleSoft
- 2% Mincom
- 2% Synergen
Another 4% of the CMMS market opted to custom design its own solutions in house.
All questions have been submitted via the “Ask The Expert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Five Workplace Wellness Best Practices