By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the August 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I actually have two questions: What is the estimated U.S. market size of facility management/asset management space? And how is this space segmented by market player?
Golden Valley, MN
A Here are some numbers that provide a very large overview of commercial buildings (note: this data was current as of 2010):
Based on the 2003 Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption Survey, there were 4,859,000 commercial buildings in the U.S. totaling 71,658,000,000 square feet. This overall total was then broken down by different characteristics, such as building floorspace, principal activity, age, and region. One could use these categories to determine the total space that their product market covers.
In response to your second question, there is information based upon research conducted back in 2004 by Terrence O’Hanlon of MaintenanceForums.com. This was the market share information estimated in that survey:
- 18% Datastream
- 17% Maximo/MRO
- 16% SAP PM
Again, keep in mind that these three vendors, as of 2004, owned 51% of the computerized maintenance management software (CMMS) market. These vendors were followed by:
- 5% Indus
- 4% MicroMain
- 3% JD Edwards/PeopleSoft
- 2% Mincom
- 2% Synergen
Another 4% of the CMMS market opted to custom design its own solutions in house.
All questions have been submitted via the “Ask The Expert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- Trends: Lighting Takes Center Stage
- Friday Funny: The Verdict’s In On Pets At Work
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Physical Security Planning
- Question Of The Week: Design Leads To Tricky Facility Repair?
- JLL Creates Workplace Of The Future At Revamped HQ
- The HVAC Factor: New Life For An Aging Chiller Plant
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Friday Funny: Take Me (And Your Wallet) Out To The Ballgame
- Friday Funny: Building Face Draws Curb Appeal?
- Clean Energy Finance Tool Awarded At Bloomberg Event
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms