Tricks Of The Trade: Asset Management’s Market
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the August 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I actually have two questions: What is the estimated U.S. market size of facility management/asset management space? And how is this space segmented by market player?
Golden Valley, MN
A Here are some numbers that provide a very large overview of commercial buildings (note: this data was current as of 2010):
Based on the 2003 Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption Survey, there were 4,859,000 commercial buildings in the U.S. totaling 71,658,000,000 square feet. This overall total was then broken down by different characteristics, such as building floorspace, principal activity, age, and region. One could use these categories to determine the total space that their product market covers.
In response to your second question, there is information based upon research conducted back in 2004 by Terrence O’Hanlon of MaintenanceForums.com. This was the market share information estimated in that survey:
- 18% Datastream
- 17% Maximo/MRO
- 16% SAP PM
Again, keep in mind that these three vendors, as of 2004, owned 51% of the computerized maintenance management software (CMMS) market. These vendors were followed by:
- 5% Indus
- 4% MicroMain
- 3% JD Edwards/PeopleSoft
- 2% Mincom
- 2% Synergen
Another 4% of the CMMS market opted to custom design its own solutions in house.
All questions have been submitted via the “Ask The Expert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- New GSU College of Law Building Encourages Interaction
- Focus On: Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- Question Of The Week: Indoor Air Quality Effects?
- Energy Conservation, Student Performance Top Reasons for Improving U.S. Public Schools
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Question of the Week: What Happens During Mold Remediation?
- Question Of The Week: Annual Testing And Maintenance Of Backflow Preventer
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Question of the Week: How Can I Prevent Bed Bugs In My Facility?
- FM Compliance: Don’t Ignore These Seven Areas
- New Product Flash: UltraDuty GHS Chemical Labels From Avery
- Grogan & Dove Federal Building Named DBIA Design-Build Project Of The Year
- FM Alert: CABA Report Highlights Role of Controls In Zero Net Energy Buildings
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Question of the Week: What Are The Cleaning Benefits of Aqueous Ozone?