By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the August 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I actually have two questions: What is the estimated U.S. market size of facility management/asset management space? And how is this space segmented by market player?
Golden Valley, MN
A Here are some numbers that provide a very large overview of commercial buildings (note: this data was current as of 2010):
Based on the 2003 Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption Survey, there were 4,859,000 commercial buildings in the U.S. totaling 71,658,000,000 square feet. This overall total was then broken down by different characteristics, such as building floorspace, principal activity, age, and region. One could use these categories to determine the total space that their product market covers.
In response to your second question, there is information based upon research conducted back in 2004 by Terrence O’Hanlon of MaintenanceForums.com. This was the market share information estimated in that survey:
- 18% Datastream
- 17% Maximo/MRO
- 16% SAP PM
Again, keep in mind that these three vendors, as of 2004, owned 51% of the computerized maintenance management software (CMMS) market. These vendors were followed by:
- 5% Indus
- 4% MicroMain
- 3% JD Edwards/PeopleSoft
- 2% Mincom
- 2% Synergen
Another 4% of the CMMS market opted to custom design its own solutions in house.
All questions have been submitted via the “Ask The Expert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Friday Funny: A Valentine’s Day Look At Office Romance
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Cyber Security In Real Estate
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention