By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the August 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I am looking for data to support an engineering staff for two major hospital locations and four smaller satellite sites. Currently, we have the full time equivalent of 68 staff members and can’t keep up with the work. As a result, we are experiencing failures of some major components due to lack of supervision and preventive maintenance. Where can I find data that will help me make the case for more appropriate staffing measures?
Supervisory General Engineer
A Peter Lufkin has authored a whitepaper published by Whitestone Research entitled, “Estimating the Size and Composition of the Hospital Maintenance Staff.” This paper uses information from a survey conducted by the New England Healthcare Engineering Society (NEHES) and research published by the International Facility Management Association (IFMA).
Interestingly enough, the County of San Mateo, CA has a budget report from its facility operations group for fiscal year 2006-2007. The report includes very good metrics on performance and staffing and is available as a free PDF download here.
I also came across an article (available for purchase) entitled “Maintenance Manpower Modeling for a Hospital Building Complex.” It was published by the European Journal of Operational Research so it may provide a very different perspective.
Finally, there is a very specific free report with detailed costs and budgets available from the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers. It is entitled, “A Benchmarking Case Study at Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH: Its History, Its Current Use, and Its Comparison to Industry Data” and can be downloaded here.
All questions have been submitted via the “Ask The Expert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management