ABI Turns Positive after Four Straight Monthly Declines
On the heels of a period of weakness in design activity, the Architecture Billings Index (ABI) took a sudden upturn in August. As a leading economic indicator of construction activity, the ABI reflects the approximate nine to 12 month lag time between architecture billings and construction spending.
The American Institute of Architects (AIA) reported the August ABI score was 51.4, following a very weak score of 45.1 in July. This score reflects an increase in demand for design services (any score above 50 indicates an increase in billings). The new projects inquiry index was 56.9, up sharply from a reading of 53.7 the previous month.
“Based on the poor economic conditions over the last several months, this turnaround in demand for design services is a surprise,” said AIA Chief Economist, Kermit Baker, PhD, Hon. AIA. “Many firms are still struggling, and continue to report that clients are having difficulty getting financing for viable projects, but it’s possible we’ve reached the bottom of the down cycle.”
Key August ABI highlights:
- Regional averages: Midwest (49.0), South (47.4), West (47.4), Northeast (46.5);
- Sector index breakdown: mixed practice (50.9), institutional (48.5), commercial/industrial (46.0); and
- Project inquiries index: 56.9
The monthly ABI index scores are centered around 50, with scores above 50 indicating an aggregate increase in billings, and scores below 50 indicating a decline. The regional and sector data are formulated using a three-month moving average.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.