Many facilities management professionals are well aware of the skilled labor shortage. Despite the financial benefits of being a qualified technician, a great majority of newcomers to the workforce just can’t imagine the benefits of being a skilled tradesperson.
Through his MikeRoweWorks.com web site, TV personality Mike Rowe has been an aggressive advocate and spokesperson for mentoring and apprenticeship programs that train suitable candidates for blue collar vocations. Another supporter of the skilled trades is Joel Leonard, “Maintenance Evangelist,” who has put the plight of this particular profession into song:
With unemployment at uncomfortably high levels, perhaps more young people will give the skilled trades another look.
You might like:
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- Trends: Lighting Takes Center Stage
- Friday Funny: The Verdict’s In On Pets At Work
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Physical Security Planning
- Question Of The Week: Design Leads To Tricky Facility Repair?
- JLL Creates Workplace Of The Future At Revamped HQ
- The HVAC Factor: New Life For An Aging Chiller Plant
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Friday Funny: Take Me (And Your Wallet) Out To The Ballgame
- Friday Funny: Building Face Draws Curb Appeal?
- Clean Energy Finance Tool Awarded At Bloomberg Event
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms