Many facilities management professionals are well aware of the skilled labor shortage. Despite the financial benefits of being a qualified technician, a great majority of newcomers to the workforce just can’t imagine the benefits of being a skilled tradesperson.
Through his MikeRoweWorks.com web site, TV personality Mike Rowe has been an aggressive advocate and spokesperson for mentoring and apprenticeship programs that train suitable candidates for blue collar vocations. Another supporter of the skilled trades is Joel Leonard, “Maintenance Evangelist,” who has put the plight of this particular profession into song:
With unemployment at uncomfortably high levels, perhaps more young people will give the skilled trades another look.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention