Tricks Of The Trade: Tech Headcount
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the September 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q How can I calculate the number of maintenance techs needed for the type and size of my facility?
Director of Environmental Services and Buildings Management
A Your best resource to use would be the document entitled Official ISSA 540 Cleaning Times. This reference manual is a result of a collaboration from the entire cleaning industry.
First, check out the research reports from the International Facility Management Association (IFMA). Specifically, IFMA’s Research Report #32: Operations & Maintenance Benchmarks will allow you to compare maintenance staffing, operations, and practices in order to determine ideal resource allocation.
Another helpful tool for benchmarking is BOMA International’s Annual Experience Exchange Report. This report is an excellent way to compare facilities. To order, visit this link..
Finally, take a look at the material offered through the National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities (NCEF). While the site is dedicated to academic structures, it is powered by the National Institute of Building Sciences and holds resources that apply to various types of facilities. That site can be accessed here.
All questions have been submitted via the “Ask The Expert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.