By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the September 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q How can I calculate the number of maintenance techs needed for the type and size of my facility?
Director of Environmental Services and Buildings Management
A Your best resource to use would be the document entitled Official ISSA 540 Cleaning Times. This reference manual is a result of a collaboration from the entire cleaning industry.
First, check out the research reports from the International Facility Management Association (IFMA). Specifically, IFMA’s Research Report #32: Operations & Maintenance Benchmarks will allow you to compare maintenance staffing, operations, and practices in order to determine ideal resource allocation.
Another helpful tool for benchmarking is BOMA International’s Annual Experience Exchange Report. This report is an excellent way to compare facilities. To order, visit this link..
Finally, take a look at the material offered through the National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities (NCEF). While the site is dedicated to academic structures, it is powered by the National Institute of Building Sciences and holds resources that apply to various types of facilities. That site can be accessed here.
All questions have been submitted via the “Ask The Expert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation