By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the September 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q How can I calculate the number of maintenance techs needed for the type and size of my facility?
Director of Environmental Services and Buildings Management
A Your best resource to use would be the document entitled Official ISSA 540 Cleaning Times. This reference manual is a result of a collaboration from the entire cleaning industry.
First, check out the research reports from the International Facility Management Association (IFMA). Specifically, IFMA’s Research Report #32: Operations & Maintenance Benchmarks will allow you to compare maintenance staffing, operations, and practices in order to determine ideal resource allocation.
Another helpful tool for benchmarking is BOMA International’s Annual Experience Exchange Report. This report is an excellent way to compare facilities. To order, visit this link..
Finally, take a look at the material offered through the National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities (NCEF). While the site is dedicated to academic structures, it is powered by the National Institute of Building Sciences and holds resources that apply to various types of facilities. That site can be accessed here.
All questions have been submitted via the “Ask The Expert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Did You Miss “Facilities Management Challenges And Opportunities In 2016” Webinar?