By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the September 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q How can I calculate the number of maintenance techs needed for the type and size of my facility?
Director of Environmental Services and Buildings Management
A Your best resource to use would be the document entitled Official ISSA 540 Cleaning Times. This reference manual is a result of a collaboration from the entire cleaning industry.
First, check out the research reports from the International Facility Management Association (IFMA). Specifically, IFMA’s Research Report #32: Operations & Maintenance Benchmarks will allow you to compare maintenance staffing, operations, and practices in order to determine ideal resource allocation.
Another helpful tool for benchmarking is BOMA International’s Annual Experience Exchange Report. This report is an excellent way to compare facilities. To order, visit this link..
Finally, take a look at the material offered through the National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities (NCEF). While the site is dedicated to academic structures, it is powered by the National Institute of Building Sciences and holds resources that apply to various types of facilities. That site can be accessed here.
All questions have been submitted via the “Ask The Expert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management