Immediate past ASHRAE President Lynn G. Bellenger, who served as the first woman president in the Society’s 116 year history, passed away Wednesday, October 19. She was president for the 2010-11 Society year, with her term ending in June 2011.
Bellenger, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, was a recognized expert in energy management, with a strong focus on the need for energy modeling to help create and refine more efficient buildings. She was a partner, Pathfinder Engineers & Architects, Rochester, N.Y.
“We at ASHRAE are greatly saddened by the death of our former president and our friend,” Ron Jarnagin, ASHRAE president, said. “Her lifelong passion for engineering excellence resonated within our membership and our industry, inspiring us through her belief that engineers will lead an energy revolution with innovation. Through her service, she showed that there is a path available to all who wish to extend the influence of engineering principles to better serve the world we live in.”
As ASHRAE president, Bellenger focused on Modeling a Sustainable World, sharing her thoughts about the role of modeling tools and how all involved in the built environment industry must come together to take advantage of “the rich opportunities for optimizing building performance through a collaborative approach from the beginning.”
In an interview last year, Bellenger talked about her involvement in energy efficiency and how much has been put in recent years on the need to save energy.
“One of the cool things about the sustainability movement is that it has ignited a passion in people that is changing the world. That passion has brought a sense of energy and excitement to the industry and attracted people who are committed to designing and operating sustainable buildings. I don’t see that changing in the future,” she said.
Bellenger was a recipient of an ASHRAE Exceptional Service Award, a Distinguished Service Award, two first-place ASHRAE Technology Awards and the Lincoln Bouillon Membership Award.
Funeral arrangements are private.
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Site Security: Background Checks
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs
- Workplace Study Reveals Insight On Open Office Layouts