By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the October 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I need a time line graph showing the relationships between the major casual drivers leading to the innovation of new technology (emerging stratified air ventilation systems) mentioned in the TFM article, “HVAC Trends: The New HVAC” [by Gordon Holness, January 2010], and also a time line graph of the new HVAC technology. These graphs will help me better explain the relationships between growing need for this new technology and the future growth trend of the technology itself.
Construction Engineering Management
Oregon State University
A Much of the information you are seeking will be available in books and manuals published by the different associations dealing with the various HVAC technologies you are reviewing. There is a helpful timeline on air conditioning and refrigeration from its inception. This resource is published by the National Academy of Engineering, “Greatest Engineering Achievements of the 20th Century: Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Timeline.”
Regarding the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), a full timeline is posted for review online here. This timeline shows what steps were involved for those organizations participating in the program.
If you visit the U.S. Department of Energy’s Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy website, you can review the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA 2007). You can see different timelines for energy reduction, reduction of fossil fuels in buildings, energy savings, and increasing the use of alternative energies. Details are available online here. In addition, the Building Energy Codes Resource Guide: Code Officials Edition is available for free download.
You may also want to check out your school’s library to see if the ASHRAE/IESNA Standard 90.1-2007 User’s Manual is available to review.
Standard 90.1-2007 (I-P) is available for free download courtesy of ASHRAE and the Department of Energy. This would be a nice reference piece to use in your research.
All questions have been submitted via the “Ask The Expert” portion of the magazine’s web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention