QUESTION OF THE WEEK: Asset Management
I have been tasked with finding and implementing a solid, yet flexible and functional asset/inventory tracking system for all of the company assets. Computers and other hardware are the big items, of course, but there is also a ton of furniture we need to track.
It seems there are a lot of companies that will print the tags for you (instead of you having your own tag machine to print for yourself), but my boss seems to think we should have our own equipment. I don’t know what I should do.
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of doing it yourself instead of farming out this function? Also, if I do end up purchasing the software and equipment to do it myself, how should I evaluate my options? Do you have an opinion on best practices for inventory systems of late?
This question was originally published in the May 2011 issue of Today’s Facility Manager. Read Elledge’s response here. Share your feedback and suggestions in the LEAVE A COMMENT section below.
You might like:
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Resilient Facilities: Strong And Sustainable
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Friday Funny: Vote For America’s Top Potty
- 2010 TFM Readers’ Choice Awards
- Channel Spotlight: The Lean Approach By Veritiv
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- LEED Case Study: 100 Years Young
- Chicago’s Merchandise Mart To Install Distributed Energy Storage Technology
- Teamwork Towards Energy Reductions