AHRI Releases Variable Frequency Drive Standard
The Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) has announced the publication of an industry first standard for variable frequency drives (VFDs).
AHRI Standards, 1210 (I-P)-2011 & 1211 (SI)-2011, Performance Rating of Variable Frequency Drives—available for free download on the AHRI website—applies, within the heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVACR) context, to VFDs used in the control of asynchronous induction motors. The range includes all those found within a building including: low voltage (= 600 V) and drives that are standalone, not mechanically integrated into motors.
“What began in 2006 as a small group of members working toward a new Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI’s predecessor organization) product section has led to a standard that will level the playing field and lead to yet another world class AHRI certification program,” said Stephen Yurek, AHRI’s President and CEO. The certification program is expected to launch this summer.
Once considered an option for only the most elaborate HVACR systems, according to AHRI, VFDs have been in the mainstream for several years, providing better efficiency with improved reliability. VFDs produce fast rising, high frequency pulses of electrical energy to control and power motors.
The section includes the following member companies: ABB; Danfoss; Emerson Climate Technologies; Honeywell; Johnson Controls; McQuay International; Schneider-Electric; and Trane.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.