The Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) has announced the publication of an industry first standard for variable frequency drives (VFDs).
AHRI Standards, 1210 (I-P)-2011 & 1211 (SI)-2011, Performance Rating of Variable Frequency Drives—available for free download on the AHRI website—applies, within the heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVACR) context, to VFDs used in the control of asynchronous induction motors. The range includes all those found within a building including: low voltage (= 600 V) and drives that are standalone, not mechanically integrated into motors.
“What began in 2006 as a small group of members working toward a new Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI’s predecessor organization) product section has led to a standard that will level the playing field and lead to yet another world class AHRI certification program,” said Stephen Yurek, AHRI’s President and CEO. The certification program is expected to launch this summer.
Once considered an option for only the most elaborate HVACR systems, according to AHRI, VFDs have been in the mainstream for several years, providing better efficiency with improved reliability. VFDs produce fast rising, high frequency pulses of electrical energy to control and power motors.
The section includes the following member companies: ABB; Danfoss; Emerson Climate Technologies; Honeywell; Johnson Controls; McQuay International; Schneider-Electric; and Trane.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management