The American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) announced last week (1/5/2012) that the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) has approved two new ASSE A10 construction and demolition standards aimed at enhancing safety.
The two new standards approved are:
- ANSI/ASSE A10.1-2011 Pre-Project and Pre-Task Safety and Health Planning for Construction and Demolition Operations
- ANSI/ASSE A10.26-2011 Emergency Procedures for Construction and Demolition Sites.
The new A10.1-2011 standard establishes the elements and activities for pre-project and pre-task safety and health planning for construction. Its primary purpose is to assist construction owners, project constructors, and contractors in making pre-project and pre-task safety and health planning a standard part of their planning processes and to assist owners in establishing a process for evaluating project constructor candidate safety and health performance and planning practices.
The new A10.26 standard applies to those emergency procedures involving: fires, collapses, hazardous spills, and other emergencies that can endanger workers; emergency rescue of injured or ill workers or other persons, or of injured workers unable to rescue themselves; on-site provision of first aid and emergency medical care; evacuation and transportation of injured or ill workers to appropriate emergency medical facilities; pre-planning and coordination of emergency plan with emergency medical facilities; and training on emergency procedures/plans for workers and other groups. It also provides guidelines for the development of emergency procedures for construction sites.
“The A10 standards play an important role in providing technical guidance to the construction and demolition industry in order to prevent occupational fatalities, injuries, and illnesses,” Richard King, Chair of the A10 Committee, said today. “These two new standards build upon our existing documents to enhance work safety and health on construction sites.”
You might like:
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- Trends: Lighting Takes Center Stage
- Friday Funny: The Verdict’s In On Pets At Work
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Physical Security Planning
- Question Of The Week: Design Leads To Tricky Facility Repair?
- JLL Creates Workplace Of The Future At Revamped HQ
- The HVAC Factor: New Life For An Aging Chiller Plant
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Friday Funny: Take Me (And Your Wallet) Out To The Ballgame
- Friday Funny: Building Face Draws Curb Appeal?
- Clean Energy Finance Tool Awarded At Bloomberg Event
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms