NEW PRODUCT FLASH: Moka by Cascades Tissue Group
Cascades Tissue Group has introduced a 100% recycled, unbleached bathroom tissue — Moka™. Available now, Cascades’ Moka is beige in appearance, offering purchasers in commercial buildings hygiene and softness while reducing the environmental impact associated with its manufacturing.
In addition to eliminating chemical whitening, this tissue product is made of a pulp mix composed of 100% recycled fiber (80% of which is post-consumer material and 20% of which is recovered corrugated boxes).
A life cycle analysis of Moka undertaken by Cascades revealed a reduction in overall environmental impact by at least 25% when compared to the company’s 100% recycled fiber bathroom tissue, which has been regarded as a sustainable tissue choice but includes a chlorine free whitening process for aesthetics.
Currently, 3.4 million(1) tons of bath tissue is used annually in the U.S., of which 53% is made from virgin fiber sources(2).
The product is also offset with 100% Green-e® certified renewable wind electricity; saving 2,500 pounds of CO2 emissions for each ton produced.
While Moka bath tissue is still cleaned and de-inked, the elimination of the whitening process reduces manufacturing impact associated to the elimination of natural gas and whitening chemicals. Virgin pulp prices have more than doubled over the past three years, invoking price increases in recycled fiber as well. By expanding to varied and more fibers such as corrugated, Cascades believes it can hedge its products’ exposure to commodity price fluctuations and white fiber shortages outside its control.
Cascades started offering its Moka concept with the introduction of a napkin line in the late 1990s.
(1) US Tissue Production, Converted Product Shipments and Consumption (RISI June 2011).
(2) Metafore, The Fiber Cycle technical Document, Metafore Summary Report, March 2006.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ