Guidelines Support HVLS Fans with Sprinklers
Based on extensive testing, the National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) Research Foundation has established guidelines for the installation and use of HVLS (High Volume Low Speed) fans in buildings with ESFR (Early Suppression Fast Response) automatic sprinklers. In a significant vote of confidence for the products, the testers concluded that HVLS fans, without additional fire, smoke, or heat detecting equipment, did not prevent the sprinkler systems from meeting the established “pass” criteria for any of the tests.
The guidelines were made upon the completion of the second phase of a two-part study analyzing the impact of HVLS fans on automatic sprinkler systems protecting stored commodities. The study was sponsored by six risk management companies and three HVLS fan manufacturers and was comprised of a series of 10 full scale fire tests.
Testing was conducted at FM Global and Underwriters Laboratories under the supervision of AON Fire Protection Engineering. The project was conducted in conjunction with the Property Insurance Research Group (PIRG), whose technical panel oversight committee includes industry experts, consultants, and sprinkler association members.
“This is a long-awaited moment for the HVLS fan industry,” said Dan Anderson of Rite-Hite Fans. “We are glad that the HVLS fan manufacturers could work together with NFPA, FM Global, UL, and sprinkler industry representatives to help establish these application guidelines. Building owners/managers who follow them should have no hesitation about using HVLS fans in warehouse applications.”
Although local fire marshals or facility managers may prefer to have HVLS fans automatically shut down when sprinklers are activated, the new NFPA guidelines call out only two specific sprinkler/storage combinations in which automatic shutdown is required within 90 seconds of sprinkler activation.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.