Sloan, the Frankin Park, IL-based manufacturer of commercial plumbing systems, recently participated in the 2011 Ron Santo Walk to Cure Diabetes. On October 2, 2011, employees at Sloan raised donations through its Walking Club, which donated $1 to Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) for every mile walked by each person in the club. In addition, Sloan matched what was raised through the program.
“Sloan has been a supporter of diabetes research through our Walking Club, and the Walk is a big step in showing our support to this worthy cause,” said Sherry Davenport, executive director of marketing. “It’s a fun and healthy way to raise donations for a cure!”
The annual Walk draws people together for this cause, fundraising to help find a cure for diabetes. About 100 Sloan employees participated—some along with family members and friends, and collectively, they raised more than $41,000. JDRF recognized this accomplishment by giving Sloan its Gold Achievement Award.
“Diabetes is something that touches all of our lives in one form or another, whether it’s directly or a loved one, and Sloan is no different,” said Kirk Allen, president and CEO of Sloan. “Taking part in an event like the Walk enables each of us to jump start the research and brings us one step closer to finding a cure.”
As many as three million Americans have type 1 diabetes, a disease most often diagnosed in childhood that strikes suddenly, lasts a lifetime, and carries the constant threat of deadly complications, including heart disease, stroke, blindness, kidney failure, and amputation. JDRF’s mission is to find a cure for diabetes and its complications through the support of research.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management