Walkers Raise More Than $40K For Juvenile Diabetes
Sloan, the Frankin Park, IL-based manufacturer of commercial plumbing systems, recently participated in the 2011 Ron Santo Walk to Cure Diabetes. On October 2, 2011, employees at Sloan raised donations through its Walking Club, which donated $1 to Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) for every mile walked by each person in the club. In addition, Sloan matched what was raised through the program.
“Sloan has been a supporter of diabetes research through our Walking Club, and the Walk is a big step in showing our support to this worthy cause,” said Sherry Davenport, executive director of marketing. “It’s a fun and healthy way to raise donations for a cure!”
The annual Walk draws people together for this cause, fundraising to help find a cure for diabetes. About 100 Sloan employees participated—some along with family members and friends, and collectively, they raised more than $41,000. JDRF recognized this accomplishment by giving Sloan its Gold Achievement Award.
“Diabetes is something that touches all of our lives in one form or another, whether it’s directly or a loved one, and Sloan is no different,” said Kirk Allen, president and CEO of Sloan. “Taking part in an event like the Walk enables each of us to jump start the research and brings us one step closer to finding a cure.”
As many as three million Americans have type 1 diabetes, a disease most often diagnosed in childhood that strikes suddenly, lasts a lifetime, and carries the constant threat of deadly complications, including heart disease, stroke, blindness, kidney failure, and amputation. JDRF’s mission is to find a cure for diabetes and its complications through the support of research.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.