Sloan, the Frankin Park, IL-based manufacturer of commercial plumbing systems, recently participated in the 2011 Ron Santo Walk to Cure Diabetes. On October 2, 2011, employees at Sloan raised donations through its Walking Club, which donated $1 to Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) for every mile walked by each person in the club. In addition, Sloan matched what was raised through the program.
“Sloan has been a supporter of diabetes research through our Walking Club, and the Walk is a big step in showing our support to this worthy cause,” said Sherry Davenport, executive director of marketing. “It’s a fun and healthy way to raise donations for a cure!”
The annual Walk draws people together for this cause, fundraising to help find a cure for diabetes. About 100 Sloan employees participated—some along with family members and friends, and collectively, they raised more than $41,000. JDRF recognized this accomplishment by giving Sloan its Gold Achievement Award.
“Diabetes is something that touches all of our lives in one form or another, whether it’s directly or a loved one, and Sloan is no different,” said Kirk Allen, president and CEO of Sloan. “Taking part in an event like the Walk enables each of us to jump start the research and brings us one step closer to finding a cure.”
As many as three million Americans have type 1 diabetes, a disease most often diagnosed in childhood that strikes suddenly, lasts a lifetime, and carries the constant threat of deadly complications, including heart disease, stroke, blindness, kidney failure, and amputation. JDRF’s mission is to find a cure for diabetes and its complications through the support of research.
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention