Today is World Water Day 2012, an annual event that since 1993 has been dedicated to highlight an issue or aspect related to freshwater. An international day to celebrate freshwater was recommended at the 1992 United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED).
The United Nations General Assembly responded by designating March 22, 1993 as the first World Water Day. World Water Day 2012 is coordinated by the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations.
In recognition of this year’s World Water Day, Xylem Watermark, the corporate citizenship and social investment program of Xylem, Inc., a water technology provider, will share a $1 donation between international non-profit Water For People and non-profit partner Mercy Corps for each infographic share via Facebook. Beginning on March 19 and continuing through March 30, those interested in sharing the “Solving Water” image can do so by visiting XylemWatermark.com/WASH.
The “Solving Water” photo was taken by a Xylem employee who traveled to India as part of World Water Corps, Water For People’s international volunteer program, and spent two weeks monitoring water and sanitation access in rural areas. Xylem has partnered with Water For People since 2008, and the organizations have delivered sustainable water solutions, including water access and sanitation and hygiene education, to more than 350,000 people in India, Peru, Honduras, and Guatemala.
Win Water Art
In other World Water Day activities, Duravit is giving away three works of art from last year’s “Water is Life” poster competition with the United Nations to help spread awareness. The competition will be open through next Monday, March 26.
For World Water Day 2011, Duravit, a maker of restroom products, sponsored the “Water is Life” poster competition in which more than 5,000 young artists and students designed posters to show the importance of water to daily life. The winners were included at the official UN World Water Day program in South Africa and traveled throughout the world as a moving exhibition. This year, Duravit is providing the opportunity to win prints of these works of art.
You can enter to win a “Water is Life” poster by correctly answering the following question: “Name one WaterSense approved toilet or urinal from Duravit”, and e-mailing your response to this e-mail address with the subject line: Duravit World Water Day. Entries must be received by Monday, March 26 at 5:00 PM EST. Check out the Duravit website if you need a hint, and the 2011 posters can be viewed here.
You might like:
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- Five Things To Consider When Starting A Predictive Maintenance Program
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Question Of The Week: Water Conservation Tips
- Demilec Closed Cell Spray System Insulates Farm-To-Fork Restaurant
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets