As part of activities focused around sustainability this past week at the University of Nevada, Reno, employees at the school’s Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center built a 7′ tall and 8′ wide “N,” constructed with 1,580 water bottles collected in the center’s recycling receptacles.
The structure is located in the Knowledge Center’s atrium, where it will remain for several weeks.
During the holiday season, the atrium housed a 9.5′ tree made entirely of old books. Alden Kamaunu, manager of the Knowledge Center’s building operations, constructed the holiday book tree in December 2011, after Knowledge Center Librarian Erin Fisher came up with the idea.
The holiday project inspired Kamaunu to do a similar display for Earth Day. “I wanted to do something special for Earth Day, but I wasn’t sure what,” he said. “I had seen a globe constructed of recycled water bottles. But I wanted to do something to make it personal for our campus, so I decided upon the giant Nevada ‘N’.”
Kamaunu used PVC pipe to construct the frame, and campus colleagues Mark Gandolfo and Daniel Fergus illuminated the Nevada “N” with blue LED lights. The lights cast an equivalent of 1,000 watts, while using only 97 watts.
As part of sustainability actions, the University of Nevada, Reno collects and delivers to recycling centers more than 55,000 pounds of aluminum and tin cans, glass bottles, and plastic bottles annually. In 2007, former University President Milt Glick signed the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (ACUPCC), joining more than 600 university and college presidents agreeing to forge a path toward a sustainable future and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Earth Week events at the university focused on topics that included: alternative transportation; waste, recycling, and local foods; alternative energy and water; and the 2nd Annual GREENevada Student Sustainability Summit.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention