Earth Week At U of Nevada, Reno
As part of activities focused around sustainability this past week at the University of Nevada, Reno, employees at the school’s Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center built a 7′ tall and 8′ wide “N,” constructed with 1,580 water bottles collected in the center’s recycling receptacles.
The structure is located in the Knowledge Center’s atrium, where it will remain for several weeks.
During the holiday season, the atrium housed a 9.5′ tree made entirely of old books. Alden Kamaunu, manager of the Knowledge Center’s building operations, constructed the holiday book tree in December 2011, after Knowledge Center Librarian Erin Fisher came up with the idea.
The holiday project inspired Kamaunu to do a similar display for Earth Day. “I wanted to do something special for Earth Day, but I wasn’t sure what,” he said. “I had seen a globe constructed of recycled water bottles. But I wanted to do something to make it personal for our campus, so I decided upon the giant Nevada ‘N’.”
Kamaunu used PVC pipe to construct the frame, and campus colleagues Mark Gandolfo and Daniel Fergus illuminated the Nevada “N” with blue LED lights. The lights cast an equivalent of 1,000 watts, while using only 97 watts.
As part of sustainability actions, the University of Nevada, Reno collects and delivers to recycling centers more than 55,000 pounds of aluminum and tin cans, glass bottles, and plastic bottles annually. In 2007, former University President Milt Glick signed the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (ACUPCC), joining more than 600 university and college presidents agreeing to forge a path toward a sustainable future and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Earth Week events at the university focused on topics that included: alternative transportation; waste, recycling, and local foods; alternative energy and water; and the 2nd Annual GREENevada Student Sustainability Summit.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ