Lanzavecchia’s personal interpretation of design is the result of a multidisciplinary approach combining an engineering problem solver attitude with an emotional fascination for humanism. Being grounded in the practical and logical, she practices an agile methodology and produces provoking concepts. The artist dreams, observes, debates, experiments, designs, and creates—drawing upon the emotional and intangible while relating them with the real and affecting.
“Can electric energy fill the void of human absence?” she asked herself when designing LightMates. Their different sizes answer to everyone’s need of heat; a mate to hug or a huge companion you can lay on. Lanzavecchia shows off her Lightmate:
(Imagine a roomful of preschoolers curled up on these things instead of sleeping bags at nap time!)
LightMates are an outgrowth of the artist’s line of products presented in the catalog, Proaesthetics: Disability Artifacts of Support. These products set out to create a bridge between user and producer aiming to open their eyes to the possibilities and new values that these vital body accessories can bestow upon the user. Here disability aids become a stage to discuss, understand and cope with disability, illness and human frailty.
Polly, this colorful back brace, has sculpted pockets to store personal artifacts.
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- Site Security: Background Checks
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs
- 4 Keys To Improve Energy Efficiency Projects
Topic Tags: Blog-Sept-2008