Allsteel Inc., designer and manufacturer of workplace furnishings, has received ISO 50001 Energy Management System certification. The Muscatine, IA company is the first furniture manufacturer in the world to be certified to this global energy management standard, and the third company in the U.S. to receive the rating.
Launched in 2011, ISO 50001 supports organizations in all sectors to use energy more efficiently, through the development of an energy management system (EnMS). ISO 50001 is based on the management system model of continual improvement also used for other existing standards such as ISO 9001 or ISO 14001. This makes it easier for organizations to integrate energy management into the overall efforts to improve quality and environmental management.
In addition to this recent certification, Allsteel has earned Superior Energy Performance (SEP) Gold certification, achieving more than 10% in energy reductions since its 2008 energy baseline. The SEP program is guided by the U.S. Council for Energy-Efficient Manufacturing. In seeking the certifications, Allsteel was part of a U.S. Department of Energy Demo Program. An accredited registrar granted both certifications.
According to Keri Luly, Allsteel’s manager of sustainability programs, the company’s 650,000 square foot manufacturing facility qualified for these latest certifications by committing to incorporate energy saving systems that will yield a 25% reduction in energy intensity over 10 years.
To this end, several initiatives have already been completed, such as the installation of a 21,200 kWh rooftop solar array. Other energy efficiency improvements contributing to the certifications include annual average reductions over the past two years on its air compressor system by 2,359,837 kWh and on its VFD dust collection system by 696,428.571 kWh.
“We knew when we accepted the invitation from the Department of Energy and the U.S. Council for Energy-Efficient Manufacturing to participate in their pilot leadership program that it would be a challenge to meet their requirements,” said Luly. “But Allsteel once again has proven it is a leader both domestically and on the global front.”
The company is marking its 100th anniversary in 2012.
You might like:
- Intelligent Restroom App from Kimberly-Clark Professional
- Friday Funny: Park Pissoir Prompts Lawsuit
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Demilec Closed Cell Spray System Insulates Farm-To-Fork Restaurant
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- Fastening Systems For Single Ply Roofing
- Safety Zone™ Sheet by Armstrong
- ISEA Seeking Input For Revision Of High-Visibility Worker Apparel Standard
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Handyclean™ Roll Wipes by Diamond Wipes
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets