The 2013 Applied Engineering Challenge from ASHRAE is for the design of a solar powered (or powered by another renewable source) portable refrigeration unit with a holding volume of one cubic foot. This device could be used to transport small essential cargo (perishable foods, pharmaceuticals, organs, sensitive equipment, etc.).
The temperature inside the box must be maintained at 25˚F (or -4˚C) continuously without an external power supply, in an ambient environment of 100˚F (or 38˚C). This device must be easily made anywhere in the world, especially in developing economies.
The new competition was developed under the 2012-13 ASHRAE theme, Broadening ASHRAE’s Horizons, of President Tom Watson, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE. The theme emphasizes the role of ASHRAE members as leaders in the application of sustainable design and practices in communities worldwide.
“I’m asking ASHRAE and the industry to look at technology that can be applied throughout the globe in applications that are simple, affordable, and easy to use,” Watson said. “Specifically with the Applied Engineering Challenge, we’re looking for technologies that can be built very inexpensively and effectively and provide an immediate benefit to people around the world.”
Watson said he hopes to attract students around the world at traditional engineering schools and also students at other institutions such as technical schools that may not have been heavily involved with ASHRAE. The deadline for entry is June 2, 2013.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention