Latest Walkway Safety Standard Announced: ANSI/NFSI B101.6-2012
The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) B101 Committee on Slip, Trip and Fall Prevention has released the latest in its line of walkway safety standards. The ANSI/NFSI B101.6-2012 Standard Guide For Commercial Entrance Matting In Reducing Slips, Trips And Falls provides criteria for the selection, installation, inspection, care, and maintenance of entrance mats and runners in commercial facilities in reducing slips, trips, and falls and is directed to eliminating slip, trip, and fall hazards such as soil, moisture, contaminants, and edge treatments as well as the improper use of floor mats and runners.
Robert J. Moran, chairman of the ANSI B101.6 sub-committee and Chairman and CEO of Ludlow composites, a manufacturer of commercial floor matting states: “This standard not only covers where and how mats should be deployed, but it also identifies the hazards associated with improper mat placement and use. We also believe that the standard will soon be adopted by the insurance industry and will serve as an important tool in preventing their insureds’ growing mat related trip-and-fall problem.”
The NFSI estimates that 55% of all slip, trip, and fall accidents are the result of an unsafe walking surface. Russell Kendzior, founder and president of the NFSI states, “although entranceway matting can play a significant role in preventing accidental slips by removing moisture from pedestrian footwear, they often contribute to trips and falls when buckled, curled, or flipped over. As the number of floor mat related trip-and-fall lawsuits continues to rise, we believe this ground breaking new standard provides a new standard of effective care in the proper use, maintenance, and inspection of entranceway floor matting.”
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.