The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) cautions employers in the fireworks/pyrotechnics industry to protect their workers from hazards they face while handling fireworks for public events.
“As we look forward to celebrating July 4 with fireworks and festivities, we must also consider the safety of workers who handle pyrotechnics,” said Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health Dr. David Michaels. “It’s the employer’s responsibility to keep everyone safe on the job and take appropriate measures to protect workers making, selling, displaying, or otherwise handling dangerous pyrotechnic materials.”
OSHA offers a Safety and Health Topics page that addresses two sectors in the pyrotechnics industry: retail sales of fireworks and fireworks display. On the web page are descriptions of common hazards and solutions found in both areas of the industry, downloadable safety posters for workplaces where fireworks are handled, and a video demonstrating best industry practices for retail sales and manufacturers based on National Fire Protection Association consensus standards.
The OSHA site references other federal standards associated with the industry, such as those of the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, both of which address consumer use of fireworks.
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- Site Security: Background Checks
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security
- 4 Keys To Improve Energy Efficiency Projects
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs