The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) cautions employers in the fireworks/pyrotechnics industry to protect their workers from hazards they face while handling fireworks for public events.
“As we look forward to celebrating July 4 with fireworks and festivities, we must also consider the safety of workers who handle pyrotechnics,” said Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health Dr. David Michaels. “It’s the employer’s responsibility to keep everyone safe on the job and take appropriate measures to protect workers making, selling, displaying, or otherwise handling dangerous pyrotechnic materials.”
OSHA offers a Safety and Health Topics page that addresses two sectors in the pyrotechnics industry: retail sales of fireworks and fireworks display. On the web page are descriptions of common hazards and solutions found in both areas of the industry, downloadable safety posters for workplaces where fireworks are handled, and a video demonstrating best industry practices for retail sales and manufacturers based on National Fire Protection Association consensus standards.
The OSHA site references other federal standards associated with the industry, such as those of the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, both of which address consumer use of fireworks.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Five Things To Consider When Starting A Predictive Maintenance Program
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- President Obama Proclaims May National Building Safety Month
- Fire Rated Flood Door from PS DOORS
- HeiTel XOh by Xtralis