The Sustainability Award is a new addition to APPA’s existing annual awards lineup. The focus of the APPA Sustainability Award is to measure the current level and effort of a facilities management department with regard to sustainability, and its integration with the academic curriculum of the institution. Nominations were assessed on areas of educational curriculum and research; leadership and administration; maintenance and operations; energy and utilities; planning and construction; sustainability indicators; and sustainability innovations.
The awards criteria developed in collaboration with and support from the research and development work provided by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE). That group’s Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System (STARS) program offers benchmarks by which educational institutions may measure themselves for recognition of their campus environmental and sustainability achievements.
The Other 2012 Award Winners
Meanwhile, APPA recognized facility management at other colleges and universities in other categories. “APPA is pleased to recognize the hard work and successes of our institutional and individual members,” said David Cain, vice president, Professional Affairs, and the chair of the Awards and Recognition Committee. “Their accomplishments demonstrate that facilities management can have a great impact on the ability of an education institution to realize its mission and vision. In the current economy, it is more important than ever that education facilities are efficient, flexible and well managed to meet the needs of the campus community.”
Award for Excellence in Facilities Management
- Harrisburg (PA) Area Community College
- University of Colorado Boulder
- Pima (AZ) Community College
Effective & Innovative Practices Award
- University of Texas at Austin
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- University of Iowa; Western Michigan State
- Purdue University
(Each recipient institution is eligible for a $4,000 cash award sponsored by Sodexo.)
- Former APPA President Bill Elvey (CAPPA), University of Texas – Dallas.
(This is APPA’s highest individual achievement award, recognizing his years of dedication to both the educational facilities profession and APPA as an organization.)
Meritorious Service Award
- Tony Ichsan (PCAPPA), Santa Rosa Community College
- Mark Hunter (PCAPPA) of California Polytechnic and State University
- Brian Worley (PCAPPA) of Claremont McKenna College
- Lynne Finn (CAPPA), South Dakota State University
- Brandon Baswell (MAPPA), Michigan State University
- Richard Davis (PCAPPA), Evergreen State College
- Chris Eagan (RMA), University of Lethbridge
- David Handwork (CAPPA), Arkansas State University
- Sue-Anna Miller (CAPPA), University of Oklahoma
- Bob Cornero (ERAPPA), Monmouth University
(This award recognizes those who demonstrate service to APPA through contributions at the international, regional or chapter level.)
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention