BOMA International Releases New Floor Measurement Standard
The Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International announce the release of its newly updated floor measurement publication, Industrial Buildings: Standard Methods of Measurement (ANSI/BOMA Z65.2-2012). This updated standard is specifically designed to account for spaces in industrial buildings and complements BOMA’s 2010 Office Measurement Standard. It is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
Developed by the BOMA International and the Society of Industrial and Office Realtors®, the new Industrial Standarddetails procedures for determining the area of an industrial building using the two dominant market measurement practices observed in North America: the Exterior Wall Methodology (Method A) for measuring fully enclosed industrial buildings; or the Drip Line Methodology (Method B) for measuring industrial buildings in warmer climates that essentially lack perimeter enclosing walls.
The new Industrial Standard covers the following areas:
- Measurement information for determining and calculating rentable area for both single occupancy and multiple occupancy in both one–story and multi–story buildings.
- Numerous and expanded definition of common terms used in industrial building measurement.
- Illustrations throughout that demonstrate different measurement methodologies for various building sizes and occupancy types.
- A downloadable and interactive format with hyperlinks for easy navigation
- Information on areas/items to be excluded in floor area calculations, as well as special conditions.
“BOMA International has set the standard for measuring buildings for almost 100 years and the new ANSI-Industrial Standard is an important addition to BOMA’s suite of floor measurement standards,” remarked BOMA International Chair Joseph W. Markling, managing director of Strategic Accounts at CBRE. “It is an essential publication for anyone involved in the planning, design, appraisal, management or operations of an industrial building.”
The Industrial Standard is one of six floor measurement standards in BOMA’s Suite of Standards, which also includes standards for measuring Office, Retail, Gross Areas of a building, and Mixed-Use. To order a copy of the standard, visit this link.