In a departure from tradition, the Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA) is announcing the winners of its National Design-Build Project Awards Competition in advance of the November 8 award ceremony at the 2012 Design-Build Conference and Expo in New Orleans, LA (November 7-9). The 2012 National Design-Build Awards program was the most competitive to date, and this year’s submissions were rigorously judged by a distinguished panel composed exclusively of owners and DBIA™ professionals.
Serving on the 2012 Jury were: Mark Alpert, PE, DBIA, CH2M HILL; Neil Becker, Assoc. AIA, DBIA, LEED AP, Coakley & Williams Construction, Inc.; Sarah Brand, PE, DBIA, Balfour Beatty Construction; Lisa B. Choplin, Maryland State Highway Administration; John J. Gallagher, PE, DBIA, American Water; Thomas Krajewski, PE, DBIA, DPR Construction Inc.; Jeff Landefeld, Assoc. DBIA, LEED AP, The Beck Group; Charles Martin, PE, DBIA, Clark Construction Group, LLC; James Pattee, DBIA, M.C. Dean, Inc.; John L. Saul, DBIA, Hensel Phelps Construction Co.; David J. Spencer, DBIA, CFM, Hensel Phelps Construction Co.; and, Ann Marie Sweet-Abshire, General Services Administration.
The awards competition recognizes the achievements of owners and design-build teams in 10 categories across the spectrum of horizontal and vertical construction. To be considered for a prize, a project must have been completed on time and on budget.
The jury examined each submission for demonstrated use of DBIA best practices. DBIA best practices include flexibility in blending experience and work procedures and shared motivations and incentives for a high level of performance. Additional best practices focus on the creation of a truly integrated team via colocation of team members during design and construction and procedures that ensure open and honest communication and an environment characterized by trust.
Yet to be announced: The 2012 Best Overall Project Award and the 2012 Design Excellence Award. The Best Overall award winner is selected at the jury’s discretion from the pool of top award winners in all categories.
This year the jury selected one project from the following Nation Design-Build Award Winners:
- The 41st Infantry Armed Forces Reserve Center, Clackamas, OR (pictured, top left);
- John W. Finn Hall Naval Base Coronado, CA;
- Goose Creek Correctional Center, Wasilla, AK;
- Heritage Hall Pensacola, FL;
- Warrior in Transition Barracks, Fort Carson, CO;
- The Vibro-Acoustic Research Facility, NASA/Glenn Research Center, Sandusky, OH;
- The California Independent System Operator (ISO) Iron Point Facility, Folsom, CA;
- LEGOLAND Florida, Winter Haven, FL;
- Intercounty Connector, Montgomery Co. and Prince Georges Co, MD; and,
- The Spokane County Regional Water Reclamation Facility, WA.
The winner of the second annual DBIA Design-Excellence Award will also be announced at the conference in November. The award recognizes design-build projects that achieve memorable design solutions exceeding an owner’s vision and defined functional requirements through state-of-the art structures and facilities that are high performance and constitute a sustainable and holistic response to their surroundings.
The Ray and Dagmar Dolby Regeneration Medicine Building at the University of California, San Francisco, was the first project to receive this distinguished recognition. In July, DBIA’s Design Excellence Jury met to select the 2013 winner. Like the Best Overall Project award winner, the Design Excellence award will be announced at the November 8 awards ceremony in New Orleans.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Fire Rated Flood Door from PS DOORS
- President Obama Proclaims May National Building Safety Month
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- Five Things To Consider When Starting A Predictive Maintenance Program