By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the September 2012 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Do you have any info and/or studies related to vibration analysis? ROI? Starting a new program? I’m thinking about adopting a program and would appreciate your assistance.
Name withheld by request
A I have not personally used a vibration analysis service, but from what I understand, it’s simply a way to predict an impending equipment breakdown through various vibration signals on a variety of rotating machines. I do know that if an organization does not have the money to act upon the report, then this kind of exercise is probably a waste of money.
Most facility management (FM) organizations have redundancies they can rely upon. Others are willing to take their chances on a vibration analysis report in the hopes that it will be wrong. Then they can get more miles out of the component without investing in maintenance approaches recommended in the report.
A smart facility manager (fm) will put this—or some other kind of preventive maintenance (PM) strategy—in the budget, knowing that reliable, efficient facilities without interruption benefit everyone in the organization. For more on PM, see “Reactive, Preventive, Or Predictive,” by Steve Wallis in the September 2012 issue of TFM.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Fire Rated Flood Door from PS DOORS
- President Obama Proclaims May National Building Safety Month
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- Intelligent Restroom App from Kimberly-Clark Professional