Tricks Of The Trade: Vibration Analysis
By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the September 2012 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Do you have any info and/or studies related to vibration analysis? ROI? Starting a new program? I’m thinking about adopting a program and would appreciate your assistance.
Name withheld by request
A I have not personally used a vibration analysis service, but from what I understand, it’s simply a way to predict an impending equipment breakdown through various vibration signals on a variety of rotating machines. I do know that if an organization does not have the money to act upon the report, then this kind of exercise is probably a waste of money.
Most facility management (FM) organizations have redundancies they can rely upon. Others are willing to take their chances on a vibration analysis report in the hopes that it will be wrong. Then they can get more miles out of the component without investing in maintenance approaches recommended in the report.
A smart facility manager (fm) will put this—or some other kind of preventive maintenance (PM) strategy—in the budget, knowing that reliable, efficient facilities without interruption benefit everyone in the organization. For more on PM, see “Reactive, Preventive, Or Predictive,” by Steve Wallis in the September 2012 issue of TFM.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.