By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the September 2012 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Do you have any info and/or studies related to vibration analysis? ROI? Starting a new program? I’m thinking about adopting a program and would appreciate your assistance.
Name withheld by request
A I have not personally used a vibration analysis service, but from what I understand, it’s simply a way to predict an impending equipment breakdown through various vibration signals on a variety of rotating machines. I do know that if an organization does not have the money to act upon the report, then this kind of exercise is probably a waste of money.
Most facility management (FM) organizations have redundancies they can rely upon. Others are willing to take their chances on a vibration analysis report in the hopes that it will be wrong. Then they can get more miles out of the component without investing in maintenance approaches recommended in the report.
A smart facility manager (fm) will put this—or some other kind of preventive maintenance (PM) strategy—in the budget, knowing that reliable, efficient facilities without interruption benefit everyone in the organization. For more on PM, see “Reactive, Preventive, Or Predictive,” by Steve Wallis in the September 2012 issue of TFM.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?