Sustainability is probably one of the most commonly used buzzwords heard in both boardrooms and back offices these days. Facility management professionals are constantly being bombarded with green initiatives that support corporate sustainability efforts and reduce the bottom line. But rarely is this concept tackled in a way that’s both fun and informative…until now.
Scott Cooney, green business author and eco-entrepreneur, has created a game of the times: GBO (Green Business Owner) Hawai’i. The goal of the business is to get players (aka “investors”) to achieve the best triple bottom line return on their investments.
Throughout the course of the game, investors are given opportunities to support businesses that help Hawai’i create clean energy, support local and sustainable food, and reduce waste. Players earn dividends and create good green jobs in the process. By having the best overall rank on green job creation, eco-credits, and profits, the player wins the game.
Players can invest in eco-businesses such as sustainable forestry operations, wind farms, green builders, algae biofuels processors, and sea water air conditioning (SWAC) technologies. Players must line up the skill sets of their human resource cards with the needs of the businesses they’re looking to start. For example, clean tech engineers are required for most renewable energy ventures. And players navigate public policy changes that influence their investments. Meanwhile, random events keep players on their toes with both positive and negative developments.
GBO Hawai’i is a sustainability themed board game for ages 13 and up, designed to help students and adults understand sustainability from a business perspective as well as a public interest one. And it can quickly adapt to become a more portable and faster playing card game—or switch back to the board game—in a matter of seconds.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
Topic Tags: GBO Hawaii