Power Struggle: Hurricane Sandy Recovery
Hurricane Sandy hit the New Jersey coast on Monday, October 29, and here in that state we are still in the recovery stage. As I write this, TFM’s offices in central New Jersey remain without power (we have relocated to a temporary space and are operational), and all around are people are assessing the damage and trying to help each other with basic needs.
The natural disasters occurring across North America in recent years have no doubt impacted many facility managers (fms), and the northeastern U.S. has joined those ranks learning to recover—and planning how to prepare for “the next time.”
While there are certainly many facets to an effective emergency preparedness plan, the glaring aspect to me is how dependence on “the grid” for power is an increasingly risky endeavor. This is not news to fms, of course.
Another challenge that has surfaced time and time again this past week has been lack of communication and information. Cell phones were key tools for many when landlines went down. A complaint frequently heard in New Jersey and New York (Gov. Cuomo there even weighed in) was the lack of information provided by power companies, and if there was information provided, it was often available by phone or the Web — outlets people can’t access if they do not have power.
So this Blog, while reporting on what’s happening in TFM‘s area, is also a call to fms who want to ramp up the conversation on this pressing issue of grid reliability. Have you had success in reducing your dependence? Are you in the process of researching your options? Or are you not in the position to make a change and wondering what you can do to lower your risk of losing power due to conditions beyond your control?
Whatever your status, if this issue is of interest, share you thoughts, suggestions, and stories. As 2013 approaches, TFM will provide useful insight for fms who want to increase their organizations’ ability to function independently while also taking advantage of the common infrastructures we share.
(Photos: copyright 2012 Heidi Schwartz)
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ