CareerCast.com Reports on Best Jobs For People With Disabilities
The three best professions for job seekers with disabilities are all in the field of health care: Pharmaceutical Sales, Pharmacy Technician, and Physician’s Assistant, according to a new report by CareerCast.com.
“Organizations specializing in job placement for the disabled find that healthcare employers offer better access to careers than any other industry,” says Tony Lee, CareerCast.com. “Many Americans have some kind of disability, and a large percentage of them either work in healthcare today or will find a job in that sector in the future.”
The 2010 U.S. Census estimates that 54 million Americans have a disability, which translates into 10% of the population ages 18 to 64. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that unemployment for the disabled is 12.9%, which is significantly higher than the national average and up from a rate of 9.3% at the onset of the recession in 2008. However, healthcare job growth is rising steadily, with the sector expected to increase by 5.6 million jobs within the next eight years, creating many available positions for disabled candidates.
Disabled workers can be a great asset to a company, but only about 20% of Americans with a physical or cognitive disability participate in the traditional workforce today. Discrimination is still a key barrier to employment, and one the most difficult hurdles for disabled job seekers to overcome is perception.
The following is an overview of the best jobs for disabled candidates, according to data gathered for the CareerCast Jobs Rated report.
- Median Pay (Wholesale/Manufacturing Sales Representatives): $56,620
- Number of Jobs/Outlook: 1,830,000/16% growth
- Median Pay: $28,400
- Numbers of Jobs/Outlook for Growth: 334,400/32%
- Median Pay: $86,410
- Number of Jobs/Outlook for Growth 83,600/30%
- Median Pay: $61,690
- Number of Jobs/Outlook for Growth: 1,216,900/16%
TELECOMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT SPECIALISTS
- Median Pay: $54,710
- Number of Jobs/Outlook for Growth: 194,900/15%
- Median Pay: $90,530
- Numbers of Jobs/Outlook for Growth: 913,100/30%
MARKET RESEARCH ANALYST
- Median Pay: $60,570
- Number of Jobs/Outlook for Growth: 282,700/41%
- Median Pay: $53,380
- Number of Jobs/Outlook: 281,400/19% growth
- Median Pay: $46,680
- Number of Jobs/Outlook: 330,600/13% growth
- Median Pay: $78,160
- Number of Jobs/Outlook: 718,800/22% growth
For more on the methodology behind the report, visit this link.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Five Workplace Wellness Best Practices