In-patient falls are the largest single category of reported incidents in hospitals, affecting up to 10% of annual hospital admissions. With such a high number impacting patient safety and operating costs, it is important to understand the range of factors that trigger falls and increase fall risk.
With this in mind, a new free research report entitled Contribution of the Designed Environment to Fall Risk in Hospitals is now available. This report, with support from The Center for Health Design, provides a cross-sectional analysis of 27 units in 12 hospitals. It uses archival fall data and identifies a number of environmental characteristics associated with greater or fewer falls, including visibility to staff work spaces, presence of a dedicated family space in the room, and bathroom layout.
“Multiple issues need to be considered while making decisions about healthcare interiors. Nowhere is this more evident than in the design of the patient room,” stated Margaret Calkins, Ph.D., M Arch, EDAC, senior research scientist, IDEAS Institute. “Design decisions about the room layout, flooring, lighting, finishes, and furniture impact a range of healthcare outcomes for patients such as patient satisfaction, hospital acquired infections, patient falls, and medical errors. With reimbursement tied increasingly to these hospital acquired conditions and patient satisfaction, hospital owners and administrators are paying a lot of attention to the factors that impact these outcomes, including the design of the built environment and the design of patient rooms.”
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management