Tricks Of The Trade: Roof Leaks
By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the November 2012 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q We have instances of leaks at the metal roof to HVAC curb on a minimum 2/12 sloped roof. Because the International Building Code (IBC) requires the equipment to be supported against any seismic action, the HVAC equipment must not move with the roof plane. The metal roof plane can expand and move approximately 3⁄4″ from the bottom edge to the top ridge. Do you have any recommendations for flashing this HVAC unit? Is a double curb the only way to approach this situation?
A Roof leaks always find their way to the detail areas. This is where real roofing skill is needed along with close attention to detail. An organization I have found to be very useful over the years is the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA). I have even sent staff members to its roofing institute. My advice would be to submit your question to this page. Even if you had to pay a fee, it would be worth it. Never underestimate the importance of a roofing system and don’t take short cuts. I almost always use an independent building envelope design consultant for new and replacement commercial roofing. [Read more about roof maintenance strategies here.]
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ